Trouble: 9070 FD cage

hegyestomi
hegyestomi Posts: 504
edited November 2017 in Workshop
Hi all
I recently had a best bike built by my local bikeshop.
As usual only the best will do so I sourced most of the bits including a full DI2 system.
I went back yesterday to re-adjust the front trim as it was slightly rubbing and after the realignment I hopped on for a spin.
As I set of and within 20 metres the I heard a pinging noise and saw something flying across the road.
I turned around and saw that the outside part of the front derailleur cage snapped off.
It seems to me that this is not repairable and need to replace the whole unit: anyone here can tell me otherwise?
Thanks

Comments

• hegyestomi
    OK, looks like not many people encountered this.
    Has anyone had a broken DI2 front derailleur taken apart and had a peep inside to see if the cage could be removed and replaced?
    Just spoke to Shimano and they won't touch it as the warranty only applies for the original owner.
    I had a quick look at their warranty policy which does not mentions this.
    Now I'm heading to Shimano's Facebook page to see if they can clarify this.
    Not a good week this one.... :(
  • clogg
    clogg Posts: 70
    OK, looks like not many people encountered this.
    Has anyone had a broken DI2 front derailleur taken apart and had a peep inside to see if the cage could be removed and replaced?
    Just spoke to Shimano and they won't touch it as the warranty only applies for the original owner.
    I had a quick look at their warranty policy which does not mentions this.
    Now I'm heading to Shimano's Facebook page to see if they can clarify this.
    Not a good week this one.... :(

I don't think that the cage is a replacable item and even so the servo in the mech will probably be damaged which would require a new mech anyway.

How did the mech break ?. If your lbs had just adjusted I can only think the damage you describe could be caused by them adjusting the mech too low or not tightening the mech up at all. The outside plate would then get caught on the big ring when the mech was either changing down off the big ring or even auto-adjusting on the small ring.

What have they said about it.
  • hegyestomi
    They were equally puzzled as they didn't adjust the height or distance of the mech, only the trimming.
    I set of without changing any gears and all I heard is this ping and off it went.
    The motor still works fine, moves freely up and down.
    When I pushed it back we had to free the chain from the remainder of the cage, it looked as the chain got picked up from underneath and got in the cage (if that's possible).
  • wijkper
    wijkper Posts: 1
    Hi,
    My 9070 FD just broke down. based on your description failure seems to be exactly the same. I have been riding 3734 Km without any issue.
    I've forward picture of the front derailleur to Shimano Norway with answer that i have to get back to store where i have bought the bike.

My local Shimano shop asked to take in my bike for further examination and bring the prescript from original purchase.

What is the outcome in your case?
  • If anyone has a Di2 front derailleur that has a broken cage then I'd be happy to take it off of your hands to use for spare parts - I like paying with these bits in my spare time.