Quick answer which is the better

b3atts
b3atts Posts: 8
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
I'm looking at a first bike in a long time, will be taking it off road through the woods, countryside etc with a friend, his cost a couple grand but I cant get to that price.
Im looking at these 2, both seem to have good reviews
Which would you reccomend on the specs:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-point-50-alloy-hardtail-mountain-bike-p275620
or
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-vulcan-mens-mountain-bike-2015

Thanks for any help :D

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Calibre, by miles.
  • b3atts
    Hi again, I've just visited a Decathlon store near the go outdoors and they have the rock rider 560 for the same ish price, its the new version of the 8.1 so i've not been able to find a review.
    out of the 2 which is better valued?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-560-mountain-bike-id_8293151.html

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-point-50-alloy-hardtail-mountain-bike-p275620

Many thanks
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    The rockrider gets my vote for the shimano gears, but that's just personal preference. I also prefer the look of the rockrider. Both very similar spec though so no clear winner here IMO.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    I too would go for the Decathlon, of the two; Deore/SLX drivetrain, air sprung forks (albeit 20mm less travel) and a claimed weight half a kilo lower. I don't really like Avid brakes at all, but I think DB1's come higher rated than the now defunct Elixir 1's too.
    Worth noting though that both have 26" wheels which are fast being replaced by 27.5" as the standard.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Not alot in it:

I actually buck the trend and prefer SRAM gears - seem to get less chain slap with them. The Decathlon Shimano gears are arguably slightly higher models than the GoOutdoors ones though.

The DB1 brakes are the direct replacement for Elixirs - I think they are essentially the same brake with a new badge. I have found Elixirs to be really good - its the older Juicys that are dire.

The Decathlon fork should be lighter and more tunable than the coils on the Go-Outdoors.

The Decathlon bike looks much better to me too.

At the price, you wont regret either. If you are either really light or really heavy then go for the Decathlon as the forks can be tuned for your weight. Otherwise, just go for whichever you like the look of best!
  • b3atts
    Great advice thanks : :)
    I got the rockrider 560 in the end, it looks great.
    I ended up getting the XL frame size (21inch) and it has a top tube of 23.5 inch
    In the store It felt too big for my size but the store advisor kept insisting, so I settled for that.
    I cant help thinking the large would be more controllable (the guide does put me in the xl category however), I think the large frame is around 19inchs.
    Im 6ft 2 (187cm) with a 34.5 inch inside leg, weight is just under 15st, fairly athletic build.
    Im looking to use the bike for fun so offroad mainly(woods and countryside)
    Would the 19inch or current 21 suit better?
    I really appriciate the help ive been given guys, its my first mtb in a long time and the options and manufacturer differences are vast!
  • apreading
    21 inch sounds right to me
  • b3atts

I just dont want to bang anything should i fall off. When im off the seat straddling the top bar.(back against the seat) My nads are literally just above the top tube, my actual crotch Is about 2.3 inch above the bar (barefoot).... this about right?
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277

I just dont want to bang anything should i fall off. When im off the seat straddling the top bar.(back against the seat) My nads are literally just above the top tube, my actual crotch Is about 2.3 inch above the bar.... this about right?
    To précis the opinions expressed here many times, most people would say that it is more important that the frame fit you in terms of reach (the distance from saddle to handlebar) than in terms of standover clearance. It is possible to find a frame offering both long-ish reach and low standover, but this takes more finding and makes it trickier to stay at your chosen budget. At the end of the day it is a personal and subjective thing, the acid test is how you feel on the bike.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Its rare to be able to fall off straddling the bike neatly, so don't worry much about standover height!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    My feeling on size is if it feels uncomfortable then its wrong...

I ride a medium frame at 6'2" myself, my odd a lot of leg short body. ignore sales people and get what works for you.
  • apreading
    I think you need to ride it to tell though, not just sit/stand on it. You cant base your opinion on how it feels with your feet on the ground. I am the same height/leg length as OP and 21 inch often initially feels big to me but is fine on the trail and I still end up with loads of seatpost showing. It is bike dependant though.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I think you need to ride it to tell though, not just sit/stand on it. You cant base your opinion on how it feels with your feet on the ground. I am the same height/leg length as OP and 21 inch often initially feels big to me but is fine on the trail and I still end up with loads of seatpost showing. It is bike dependant though.

Bike dependant, body shape dependent even more so.. also how you ride dependant...

Sizing of a mountain bike its almost totally fluid to the situation. and no one can tell you what suits you at all until you ride a fair bit, then you will have a pretty good idea when you jump on a bike if it fits or not.
  • b3atts
    I had a ride around the shop slowy due to the customers blocking isles.. its not comparable to acutally riding around at speed on a trail though.
    Ive been out on it so couldn't return it for a smaller size. I just need to get used to it, not riding for ages, I sort of lost my benchmark. I suppoae future purchases will be benchmarked against this bike.