Protecting drivetrain from rain

lebjos
lebjos Posts: 11
edited July 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys,

I've been thinking of ways to protect the sprockets and chain on my bike from rain and subsequently corrosion and rust. Every time it rains, I clean and re-lube the chain to stop it from getting rusty. However this is becoming very tiresome.

I was thinking about designing some sort of plastic cover, I've attached a concept picture of it.

Is there any reason why they are not made from stainless steel? If they were, they would not rust :/

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A good wet lube is all you need, I rarely clean my chain, just scrape off the excess wet lube.

Stainless is much more expensive and has worse wear characteristics.

No picture attached, but most water comes up from the front wheel anyway and such a device on a mountain bike will probably just act as a mud trap.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Geoff Apps has been thinking and working on this probably for the last 30 years as I know of.

Rain has very little effect on a well oiled chain, it's the detritus that flies up off the trail that causes the problem.

It's not even the water that's the problem on the trail, grit is the problem wet or dry it removes lubrication and grinds away moving mechanical parts.

Nothing you design will keep out dust and grit, I know being a farmer with a lot of big toys where you find muck in places that seems impossible.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    My chains often have a bit of surface rust. Ride and it goes away.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    you can always try this ACF50: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACF-50-ANTI-CORROSION-SCOOTER-SPRAY-PROTECTION-ACF50-/400914695252?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d5860c454

I use it on my motorbike - winter time / salty road conditions / wet etc. - excellent.

Used it on my old MTB - it also worked.

Will apply to my new bike for autumn / winter time.

Chris