Superstar Carbon Clinchers

davedicko
davedicko Posts: 35
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Just wondering if anyone has spent any time on the C46 and/or C66 wheelsets?

I'm thinking of going for a set of carbon clinchers (currently have Ksyrium Elites) for Summer riding and like the fact that you're getting a quality rim (older Reynolds) with UK backup as opposed to going the Chinese carbon route where I always feel like you're taking a bit more of a punt. Can't really find any proper reviews on them.

I know the C46 weights are pretty reasonable whilst the C66 is a bit heavier (C46 c1500g, C66 c1700g) but the price of the 66 at the moment is so good that I'd be tempted to have a go with them if there wasn't much in it in terms of feel and dealing with crosswinds. It'd be my first set of deeper section carbon wheels too.

Also - are the stickers removable or are they under a clear coat?

Comments

• londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Starting to feel like a sales rep but if you want re-branded Chinese clinchers with the convenience of a UK shop then Zuus are another one to consider.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Have a mate who uses the 88mm ones, he raves about them. I'm pretty sure the stickers are removable. If you email them I'm pretty sure they won't put any on if you ask.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rudivoller22
    rudivoller22 Posts: 492
    I have the 46s. The stickers come separately in the box so I just didn't bother to fit them.

There is another thread on these wheels listing issues so I won't dredge that up - my wheels arrived fairly poorly built and unevenly tensioned but after having them sorted out by my LBS (£15) I have to say they have been fantastic. Feel better than an older set of Zipp 303s. They are pretty light, stiff, braking has been excellent even in the wet (I use swisstop pads rather than the Reynolds ones supplied). And they spin up pretty quickly.

A mate is having a load of issues with a custom set he bought that were built with the wrong parts so if be wary of their customer service but for the price (mine were £299 in sale) I can't really complain. Not sure i would full price for them though so hang on for a sale.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I've also got a set of 46s and had them re-tensioned before riding on them. Feedback from the LBS, was that the tensions were all over the place, despite SSC saying that their carbon wheels are handbuilt instead of machine built.

Performance wise, I'm now happy to report that the wheels are really rather good, especially for the discount price I paid for them. They feel stiff, quick to accelerate and braking with the blue Reynolds pads is excellent, with decent power and really good modulaton, although I've not used them in the wet yet and have no intention of doing so. Performance in side winds isn't great, as you'd expect with a V-shaped cross section. I've left the stickers off.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Starting to feel like a sales rep but if you want re-branded Chinese clinchers with the convenience of a UK shop then Zuus are another one to consider.

Thanks for posting this. I ordered a set of the Z50s yesterday for £359 and now they're back up to £399 :D

I was contemplating Cero AR3 or Novatec Jetflys (alu) but fancied something a bit deeper so these seem to seem to fit the bill. I went for the glossy black logos, but they'll be coming off if they look too naff.

These will be replacing a set of flawless DA C24s with 12.5k miles on them (wear indicators still visible) so it will be interesting to see how they compare: shallow v deep, narrow v wide, alu v carbon, expensive v cheap!

I also have a set of 32mm alu Felt wheels (Aero Road R3) with virtually the same hub (Ambrosio Zenith type) and they are pretty decent although the rear bearing didn't last all that long. I figure if I keep the Z50s out of the rain for the most part, they'll do OK, and if I don't like them, I'm sure I'll be able to sell them locally and not lose too much on the transaction.

Edit: Gary told me yesterday that I should get them early next week, but I've just received an email to say the order status is now "shipped". </excited!>
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    Tempted by one of their build options, anyone know of any valid discount codes knocking about for wheels or have I just missed out?

Cheers
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • bobones
    Tempted by one of their build options, anyone know of any valid discount codes knocking about for wheels or have I just missed out?
    If you're talking about Zuus, the JUNE10 discount code was taken off yesterday unfortunately. BTW, I got my wheels this morning and they look the business. I think I'll keep the logos on because the gloss black ones look class to my eyes. I should get them fitted to the bike tonight and maybe sneak a quick ride in: my only doubt is how much clearance there'll be with 25 mm tyres on these wider rim. It's early days, but on first impressions these look well worth the money.
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    Oh sorry it was the Superstar but the Zuus look Ok, might look at a few reviews. Hope the new wheels ride Ok
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • bobones
    Oh sorry it was the Superstar but the Zuus look Ok, might look at a few reviews. Hope the new wheels ride Ok
    No bother, I suspected you were talking about the Superstar's as given the thread title!