C2W £1000 bike

taffygriffiths
taffygriffiths Posts: 186
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
so... my normal bike is a 160mm all mountain bike....

I'm thinking about going down the route of a road bike to do some shorter training sessions, and maybe try my hand at some of the local sportives.

With an impending wedding next year, spare cash is tight. I would love to be able to put the extra to a bike to get better, but i cant see it happening!

as such... i basically have a £1000 limit through cyclescheme.

Looking for something thats a bit more comfort than race... looks like i will be a 58cm.

Ideally i would like.... 105 groupset (or atleast shifters, 11speed and mech) mainly as i like the hidden cables on the 105 shifters.

I think i would also like discs... seems to be the way the market is going, and being 6'2" + 17 stone, i need stopping power!

i dont really know any of the smaller or more obscure road brands. only the major ones.

Giant seem to be sticking to proprietary standards like their d fuse post and 1.1/4 steerer which makes it a bit of a pain to change things!

so.... if you were in my position, what would you buy or reccomend? need to accept cyclescheme is a key point!

Thanks guys!!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It will need to be more than just shifters if you want 11 speed as only 105 and above are 11 speed.

You do not 'need' disc brakes. 17 stone riders have managed perfectly well without them for years, and the assumption that cable disc (what you will get on a £1000 bike) are better at stopping than rim brakes is flawed IMO/IME.
    I find it odd when people specify discs without having an opinion on whether they are cable or hydraulic.
    A lot of people want it for the look I guess.

This with some added 5800 brakes would be a good start. Still £100 under budget so you could get shoes/pedals too.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/dolomite-six-2015-road-bike-ec071301
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    I'm in the exact same boat. I normally ride a 160mm FS mtb but want a road bike for training. Have a look at ribble bike builder, you'll be able to get 105 etc easily under your £1000 limit and they take cycle to work scheme (that's how I'm getting mine).

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Richard_j
    Richard_j Posts: 1
    Cannondale Synapse 105 disc (Ishould be getting mine this week)
  • Discs... purely for the futureproofing. i can always add HY-RD or full hydros later on. without mounting bosses, i cant change anything!

I looked at the synapse disc, but it just doesnt shout 'buy me' not sure why as it ticks all the boxes really!!

really liking the ribble gran fondo! carbon, 105 and a bit of customising for under £1000! shame about the £65 admin fee!
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Yea its a shame about the admin fee but it's still great value for your £1000 or less.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • So... i really like the Gran fondo. i can get it with full 105 and aksiums for under £1000.

Went to a LBS today. had a look at some of the other options available.

main ally frame thats standing out is Giant Defy 1 at £899 and the defy 0 at £999 (ultegra shifters and mech being the difference)

Cube peloton sl is very nice spec, but apparently they are getting a major revamp for 2016 and discs, and i think i would be a bit gutted if i bought it now.

the only other i have seen is the planet x london road. can get it with sram rival and hydro discs for £1000 (allbeit with a £100 admin fee) albeit it seems more of a CX bike.

So.. realistically... Its looking like the a big brand ally frame in the defy, versus the 'chinese' carbon in the ribble. am i going to see any major benefit going either way?

The fondo seems to have great reviews, the only downside being sporadic customer service.

Defy being available from the LBS, but not quite as good spec.

what would people buy?

any other ideas anyone can throw in the mix?
  • bit of a curveball...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mach-720-carbon-road-bike-id_8311471.html

Anyone had any experience of this?

or better off sticking with one of the other brands?