New guy saying hi, and a Brake upgrade question

Bigchief
Bigchief Posts: 3
edited July 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys ive just bought a Carrera Vulcan 2012/2013, my pal bought it new and just hung it up in his garage so i offered him £120 and bought it, its never been ridden except today with me hanging off it (im 17 stone lol) and the front cabe Disc brake wasnt as sharp as i'd hoped it would be, the guy in the local bike shop said to run it in a bit and it wasnt that bad in his opinion, plus i did a bit of adjustment as well, so my questions are, how to improve the stopping power? i know there is stretch in the cable, so is there an hydraulic upgrade kit i can buy and just bolt it straight on?
thanks Keith

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You can't convert cable discs to hydraulic. Only the rotors are the same.

New Deore 615s are £34 an end from CRC.

Cable don't stretch though - the outers may compress a bit, so adjust and bed them in properly and see.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    You need to bed the brakes in. Find a nice flat area with no traffic about, pedal the bike up to full speed and brake to a full stop. Do this about ten times with each brake and you'll have (1) bedded your brakes in and (2) earned a cup of tea.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Make sure both pads are adjusted in until they 'just' start to rub the disc, much better performance than if they are hanging out in the breeze.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Bigchief
    Bigchief Posts: 3
    Brilliant thanks guys, is there a conversion kit to put hydraulic brakes on it..if I want to at a later date? Thanks lads
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You just buy new brakes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Brilliant thanks guys, is there a conversion kit to put hydraulic brakes on it..if I want to at a later date? Thanks lads

Levers, calipers and lines are all different items for hydraulics, so you buy a fully bled and assembled caliper, lever and line. Shimano Deore are among the best braking per buck that you could wish for.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • rb199stu
    rb199stu Posts: 11
    I too had brake issues on my Bad Boy, the brakes were ok but never quite had the bight I wanted!!! The LBS suggested the brakes needed bleeding but, there didnt seem to be any issues with spongy lever so a new set of pads from Uber Bike were fitted and what a change in the performance, best £10 spent.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So the pads were contaminated.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.