First downhill bike

arcadian
arcadian Posts: 35
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
Was looking into getting a downhill bike (new) as the likes of Glencoe and Fort William are only 2-3 hours away. There's a handful of downhill trails nearby that I can do on my trail bike, I'm mostly fine there on my normal bike but there are a few features I have to bypass as I reckon they could be potential bike wreckers on my current one (ok, in some cases like the 8 foot drop there's also a fear factor!).

Was considering the Vitus Dominer DH bike as it's going pretty cheaply on CRC and could be 10% less with a British Cycling discount; the parts are all decent but the frame is a generic one with little development (didn't think that would matter too much for the price). Saw the MBUK review on it saying it was pretty decent if a little high stance, but was really confused they picked on the Zee brakes as a negatve point as I've got them on the trail bike and they're awesome.

Saw the YT bikes currently have a good discount running and with the euro not being so strong (and possibly getting weaker?) and am really keen on the Tues al Comp - great parts and frame, only a little more expensive, but not available for 6-8 weeks rather than soon.

Just wondering if anyone's got either bike or could suggest any other good sub 2k bikes? Was pretty much ready to go for the Vitus one then saw the price drop on the YT and am now just umming and ahhing about it

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    After chatting to someone who has the Vitus I wouldn't have one, sounds like it's very similar to the Identiti Mogul which was also cheap and rubbish.
    For a DH bike on a tighter budget I would go for either a YT Tues (depending on delivery time), Rose Unchained, Nukeproof Scalp or go for a tidy used Devinci Wilson.
    To be honest I think the used Devinci would be best, it's the best DH bike I have ever ridden by a long way and used DH bikes are selling really cheap now because no one is buying them.
    Whatever you get, just avoid Fox 40 forks, the service intervals are about every five minutes. Rockshox BoXXers or Manitou Dorado's or Marzocchi 888 (2012 onwards) are better if you want to ride more and service less.
  • m_cozzy
    m_cozzy Posts: 132
    I've just brought the tues pro 26. 1st downhill bike at 45 :) DIdnt want carbon, didnt want bos, not fussed about 650b, the pro is nicely spec'ed.
    It arrived in 8 days from ordering as was showing in stock. They refunded 300 euros as I ordered it 1 day before the price drop.
    Brilliant brilliant fun to ride. Not sure I could do with waiting months as I'm too impulsive.
    I was originally looking 2nd hand, but the good ones are selling quickly. Missed a commencal supreme & tues ltd before getting fed up & buying new.
    Banned from singletrack forum again :-)
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Whatever you get, just avoid Fox 40 forks, the service intervals are about every five minutes. Rockshox BoXXers or Manitou Dorado's or Marzocchi 888 (2012 onwards) are better if you want to ride more and service less.

Fox's current guidelines show the 40 needs servicing less often than a Boxxer.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774

Fox's current guidelines show the 40 needs servicing less often than a Boxxer.

I was referring to used bikes with 40's which will most likely be the older models which do require a lot of attention and unless they are the very top model aren't that good anyway.