Cane Creek IS41 headset on Specialized Allez?

buckmulligan
buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
edited July 2015 in Workshop
Hi, I’m looking to see if anyone has actually fitted a Cane Creek IS41 headset to a Specialized Allez (or similar) bike?

I’ve got a 2011 Allez Sport bike that I want to get the stem into a lower position on. At the moment the stem is slammed against the big (~20mm) conical spacer/cover of the stock headset and I was looking at purchasing the short cover (9mm stack) Cane Creek IS41 headset as a replacement (as per the Cane Creek Headset Finder's recommendation).

I removed the proprietary MindSet headset from it and replaced with sealed cartridges last year, so in theory it should be an easy swap, but several product reviews suggest that it might not be that simple and a number of people report that various parts (inc. the original split ring and big conical top cover) of the original headset had to be used to get it properly tightened.

Has anyone tried this out and if so, which parts were required to get it to work? Many thanks!

Comments

• buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Surely someone must have done this given the number of Specialized bikes out there with those crappy MindSet headsets?!