Shimano 2300 chainset upgrade

shinybits
shinybits Posts: 20
edited July 2015 in Workshop
I have a 2010 Specialized Tricross that I use for commuter duties and touring. The Shimano 2300 drivetrain is seriously past its best, and on top of a new chain & cassette, the chainrings are very worn down to the point of looking like shark teeth. I've considered replacing the chainrings individually, but this is expensive (it's a triple) and thought this might be a good time to buy a complete new chainset.

I've seen a good deal on a new Claris chainset, but I see it's Octolink - therefore I assume then that I'd need to replace the BB too? Any other concerns with swapping to a Claris chainset? What triple chainsets could I buy to fit my current BB? Thanks!

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    I assume that you have a square taper BB with your 2300 crankset? If the replacement Claris crankset is Octalink FC-2403, then yes you will need the corresponding BB-ES25. I think the choice of square taper Shimano cranksets is now limited to the low end series components, Tourney FC-A073. If you are replacing the BB you could also consider a HT II type crankset and BB.
  • shinybits
    Yes, according to the original spec it's a BB-7420 with crank bolts. I feared Tourney might be the only option, which I don't fancy much!
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    BBs are pretty cheap and if your chainset needs replaced then it probably does too.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    no real need for a triple chainset these days when 50-34 (compact) chainsets available and cassettes that go up to 30.

you get a better chain line with a compact - might be worth getting a hollowtech II compact chainset and bottom bracket?
    if you get a shimano 105 5800 11 speed then all sizes of 11 speed chainrings can be fitted to it.
    (11 speed chainset fine on your setup)
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Yeah, but then he needs new shifters too and they're expensive.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • dgunthor
    Yeah, but then he needs new shifters too and they're expensive.

if he keeps the same speed at the back, no need for new shifters (triple shifter will work fine for a double setup)
  • shinybits
    Interesting. Assuming I keep the 3 speed shifters, can I limit the front derailleur enough so that I can't accidentally take the chain off!?

I do like the granny ring. As I say, I use the bike for touring so an easy option on the hills is nice.
  • dgunthor
    Interesting. Assuming I keep the 3 speed shifters, can I limit the front derailleur enough so that I can't accidentally take the chain off!?

I do like the granny ring. As I say, I use the bike for touring so an easy option on the hills is nice.

yes, when setup, you wouldn't know it wasn't a double shifter
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you use it for touring then I'd say stick with a triple. If you want the typical road triple 50/39/30 I'd say go for Tiagra 4603 with the corresponding HT2 BB. (Or if you can wait a couple of months you could get the new Tiagra 4700 series which IME looks better)

If you'd rather switch to a touring triple chainset with slightly smaller rings eg 48/38/28, you could do worse than browse the delightfully archaic Spa Cycles website, where you'll find a bewildering selection, and the square taper cartridge BB still in rude health.

eg http://spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s109p2000
  • dgunthor
    what cassette have you got?

34 tooth on the compact isn't far off a 30, IMO the better chainline allowing you to use all the gears is worth having
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Full 105 11 speed is only £300, and will be a massive upgrade from a worn 2300 setup. You can get a 34-32 ratio which may suit (though I don't see what cassette you have on now).
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Full 105 11 speed is only £300, and will be a massive upgrade from a worn 2300 setup. You can get a 34-32 ratio which may suit (though I don't see what cassette you have on now).

that'll be fine if he has 11sp compatible wheels!

You won't need the brakes anyway so just get the crankset, shifters and dérailleurs (about £210) and a new 11sp compatible back wheel or wheelset.

edit: if you only want the crankset the 5800 is £69 on merlin + about £12 for BB
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335

that'll be fine if he has 11sp compatible wheels!

Good spot :-)