another post about gears :D

Chillyonacid
Chillyonacid Posts: 39
edited July 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
hello, I was wondering if anybody can with help with my gear indexing, I had problems with my front and rear mech. followed online tutorials and sorted my rear mech all the gears change fine and there no problem. but when it comes to my front they all change into the three rings no problem, the only problem is when I' am in a certain combination I have awful grinding and rubbing. I was just wondering how do I know which mech too play about with front or back?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Try to avoid biggest front ring with the biggest three on the back and the smallest front with the smallest three on the back. It pulls the chain at some nasty angles.
    You soon get used to avoiding these gears and do it without thinking.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Try to avoid biggest front ring with the biggest three on the back and the smallest front with the smallest three on the back. It pulls the chain at some nasty angles.
    You soon get used to avoiding these gears and do it without thinking.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The usual cause of grinding is rubbing on the front mech, it may need a tweak on either the indexing or alignment.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    still triples around?
    rear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH43OCmArUw
    front: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJB1L6gj4nI

best videos I've found, try to understand the way a mech works and follow the procedure, dead easy. soem combinations of cranks/bb/chain rings/frames don't offer the best alignement so some chain rub should expected.
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut