Rear indexing issues.

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
edited July 2015 in Workshop
Starting to loose my temper trying to setup rear mech. Running 105 5800.

A couple of weeks ago I snapped the rear mech cable snapped in the shifter. I fished out the cable and a couple of loose bits of cable. Replaced the cable with really cheap cables from LBS and suffered a week of crap shifting, assuming it was down to quality of cables from LBS.

I've since ordered some Shimano cables and replaced inners and outers, indexing seemed fine on the stand but as the week went on the shifting progressivly got worse - skipping/missing shifts etc.

Fettled with it yesterday for an hour and couldn't get it going, in the progress fraying the cable. I even took the shifter off to inspect incase there was still some old cable floating about but all looked well.

Been and got a new cable this morning and spent a good hour setting it up and can get the shift high to low perfect BUT it just won't have shifting low to high.

I set the mech up by adjusting the high tension screw first without the cable attached, then when happy attach cable, change down to low gear and adjust the low tension screw.

Like I say, high to low works fine but the other way round just won't work. Shifting was perfect before the cable snapped and the cables weren't even a year old. Any ideas as I'm starting to loose my rag?

Comments

• marin_maniac
    marin_maniac Posts: 513
    I've got both 5800 and 6800, and when set up correctly both shift excellently and I find it hard to tell much of a difference between the two.

The shimano dealer manuals http://si.shimano.com tell you all you need to know. I think the new Shimano groupsets are deffo temperamental when using crap cables. You can't beat Sp41 outer and the new coated cable inners for 5800/6800. I honestly won't use anything else now.

Make sure the high and low limit stops are set correctly. Do this without the cable attached.
    Set low limit stop by moving the rear mech by hand to is furthest position up the cassette (so mech jockey wheels are directly aligned vertically under the biggest cassette sprocket. Look down the bike from rear wheel to set this.

Setting the high limit stop, the jockey wheels of the mech should be aligned to the right side edge of the smallest cassette sprocket.

Once limit stops are set connect cable to rear mech ensuring cable is seated in the groove where it clamps to the mech. Also make sure the rear mech loop of cable and outer is big enough so there is a straight run of cable into the mech.

Once cable is connected, turn the barrel adjuster (increasing cable tension) towards the rear wheel spokes enough so you can shift on to the next (larger) sprocket on the cassette. From there continue to add cable tension when moving the shift lever as if to shift to the next larger sprocket without actually completing the shift.

When using the shift lever to shift, theres a certain amount of play in the lever before it will shift. You need to move the lever enough to get to the end of the play zone' before the shift is completed. The best setting for indexing gears is when moving the shift lever to the end of this zone but the shift to the next sprocket is not completed.

When you've found this point, the chain will rub on the next larger cassette sprocket and you will hear noise when you move the shift lever to the end of the play zone. When the shift lever is released the noise will stop.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Managed to get sorted.

Gave the spring in the rear mech a touch of lube/grease and left it a couple of hours before trying again doing as before and all seems well, for now!