GPS for the road and for trail work

ageis
ageis Posts: 49
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I think my tom tom has kicked the bucket. I was wondering is there a seperate GPS device (i.e. not an app on a phone) that can be used both on the road and for trail work ? i.e. Garmin Edge Touring and tom tom go all in one device

Comments

• Clockworkmark31
    Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
    Hi

I think my tom tom has kicked the bucket. I was wondering is there a seperate GPS device (i.e. not an app on a phone) that can be used both on the road and for trail work ? i.e. Garmin Edge Touring and tom tom go all in one device

I may be wrong in saying this but, don't all GPS devices use some sort of interfacing software to make the data accessible. A tom tom is an all in one unit. But anything else would require software to see the data, weather that be an app or PC software etc.

You could also use something like a Sunnto, but to access all of the data you need a computer with the SW installed, also to make sure it is fully charged before each use.

GPS logging devices can come in the form of watches or fitness bands or a GPS clip etc, but they do all need SW to access the info and to be fully charged.

The devices you are mentioning are all in one devices. Why would you want this unless you are planning on going of grid? Plus they all still require charging.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Think the OP is asking for a stand alone device recommendation as these tend to be more accurate rather than using GPS functionality off of a mobile or smart watch.

Gar in 510 or 810 are worth a look depending on what sort of additional functionality you are after.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you genuinely need to navigate, then a screen smaller than the Garmin Edge Touring or 810 is next to useless.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Clockworkmark31
    Are they more accurate? They still fix on to the same satellites. Maybe because they are exposed more and have a fix on more satellites (reception) etc they are presumed to be more accurate. Or do they have better antennas?

My personal opinion a modern day smart phone is just as accurate as a standalone device for civilian use. Plus you have the ability to use OS maps etc for navigation on the same device.

But each to there own, I have tried a Sunnto to my phone and found no difference in terms of the information I was wanting other than HR monitor but you can easily get them.

If you want one then get one, I too was willing to spend around £500 on said device until I noticed my smart phone is just as accurate and I already have the hardware.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Are they more accurate? They still fix on to the same satellites. Maybe because they are exposed more and have a fix on more satellites (reception) etc they are presumed to be more accurate. Or do they have better antennas?

My personal opinion a modern day smart phone is just as accurate as a standalone device for civilian use. Plus you have the ability to use OS maps etc for navigation on the same device.

But each to there own, I have tried a Sunnto to my phone and found no difference in terms of the information I was wanting other than HR monitor but you can easily get them.

If you want one then get one, I too was willing to spend around £500 on said device until I noticed my smart phone is just as accurate and I already have the hardware.
    Elevation is measured differently. An App driven device will use maps to calculate elevation gain over a ride while a dedicated GPS device will can detect and calculate the actual elevation gain. Overall you also tend to get better consistency with a dedicated GPS device but that's not to say App driven isn't decent enough for most.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Clockworkmark31
    [/quote]Elevation is measured differently. An App driven device will use maps to calculate elevation gain over a ride while a dedicated GPS device will can detect and calculate the actual elevation gain. Overall you also tend to get better consistency with a dedicated GPS device but that's not to say App driven isn't decent enough for most.[/quote]

Yeah I can see your point and where you are going with that. But some smartphones now incorporate barometric sensors within them. Can't remember the site where I found this information.

But yeah a dedicated device could be more accurate, suppose it depends on the intended use.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Barometric data isn't that accurate - you need it to calibrate it at least once a day to get anywhere near an accurate measure. Even the cheapest Garmin stand-alone GPS units are accurate enough to detect a rise of a couple of metres, or to tell whether you've ridden on the road or the cycle path beside it.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Clockworkmark31
    Barometric data isn't that accurate - you need it to calibrate it at least once a day to get anywhere near an accurate measure. Even the cheapest Garmin stand-alone GPS units are accurate enough to detect a rise of a couple of metres, or to tell whether you've ridden on the road or the cycle path beside it.

Didn't think there was that much in them, but like I said I guess it depends on your use for one. I only compared a Sunnto to my phone whilst commuting. May have been different on the trails.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485

Didn't think there was that much in them, but like I said I guess it depends on your use for one. I only compared a Sunnto to my phone whilst commuting. May have been different on the trails.
    Unless you are trying to measure precisely how high up in the atmosphere you are, you don't need to calibrate a barometric altimeter for cycling purposes - all you are looking for it to do is to give you an accurate evaluation of the amount of climb. It may have the spot height wrong in the first place, but it will still be accurately measuring the amount of climb you do from that spot height.

Altitude calculated by GPS devices is unreliable, certainly not enough to detect a rise of a couple of metres in most circumstances. See http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/05/understanding-sport-device-gps.html

Most modern smartphones or GPS watches (or smartwatches which have GPS built in, unlike the Apple Watch which doesn't...) are more than accurate enough for cycling.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)