Seized Seat Post

ajkerr73
ajkerr73 Posts: 318
edited July 2015 in Workshop
Any tips for freeing a seized carbon seat post in an ally frame?

Giant Defy

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,110
    Can you spray it ith WD40 or GT85 and let it soak in for a while, occasionally re-spraying it? Leave it for 24 hours and see if it budges. It's a combination of oxidisation and road dirt that caused it. If you can get access from the BB shell to spray some stuff down the seattube from there, it may help a little.
    Worst comes to the worst, you'll just have to saw it off and then get a hacksaw blade on the inside of the seat pin and saw a split in it.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,173
    you can get electrolitic corrosion between cf and al (the al loses), the product takes up more space so the post jams solid

as above, you may have to cut it out (chemicals that would dissolve the corrosion may also attack the frame)

heat may also help, al expands more, pour boiling water on the affected area, or hairdryer but watch out you don't burn the paint

next time: use cf assembly paste on the inserted section of post, remove and redo every year
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    GT85 or WD40 is pretty useless - it's just a light oil in an aerosol. Better-off using ACF50 which will actually break-down the aluminium oxide which has caused your post to seize.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,110
    GT85 or WD40 is pretty useless - it's just a light oil in an aerosol. Better-off using ACF50 which will actually break-down the aluminium oxide which has caused your post to seize.

Depends how 'seized' it is. Some people are a little wary of putting too much force on seized components.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    If you can get access from the bb pour some brown vinegar down and leave it overnight. Sometimes works.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    How old is the bike/post, what methods have you tried to get it out? I have come across this product before but have not used it so don't know if it works. http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Effetto-Mariposa/CarboMove-200ml/286