TDF - Final Stage

Tackle
Tackle Posts: 387
edited July 2015 in Pro race
Goodday Comraides.

I'm going to Paris to watch the conclusion of Le Tour's final stage. Got a hotel in Paris for the Saturday night, are there any places which are recommended by readers to view the finishing circuit from? Good Cafe's / bars etc which you would recommend for viewing. Also, what time do I need to be in residence at said location to get a good view.

Any help for this TDF finale virgin would be welcome.

Tackle.
Currently on an Orbea Onix.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Also, what time do I need to be in residence at said location to get a good view.

As early as possible. Some parts will be more popular than others, the Champs Elysee is always busy. The last time I watched it in Paris, some Texan bloke was riding and I found an empty barrier all to myself on Rue de Rivoli just as they turned left after exiting the tunnel, the rain might have had something to do with the space I had though.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Tackle
    Tackle Posts: 387
    Thanks. What is coincided early? 8am?

Any chance of getting in a bar / coffee shop on the Champs Élysées of are they for the invited only?
    Currently on an Orbea Onix.
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    I am glad someone started this thread as I was going to do it myself in the next week or so. We are also in Paris for the final stage, sold it to the wife that a romantic weekend at the end of July would be a good idea, “what do you mean there is a bike race on? No of course I didn’t know dear!!”

We are going to swerve Champs but will slot in somewhere else around the city later in the day. Does anyone know what happens for presentation, do they allow everyone nearish to podium area? Also as Saturdays stage could be a big deciding factor, does anyone have any tips on where to catch the end of it, bar/café with a bit of atmosphere?
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    We were there in 2012 and stood in the Jardin des Tuileries, looking over Quai des Tuileries just before the 90 degree bend into the tunnel. We were there a few hours before the caravan rolled through having carried seats from the Jardin.

Was a good spot, but if doing it again I'd stand on the opposite side of the road (La Seine side) as even when the Peloton arrived there was plenty of space available and bidons etc were being dispatched. This would allow a few hours over the other side of the river in bars/cafes etc.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Is this a spoiler ?
  • I go every year and tend to park up near the top of the Champs Elysees.

With running Team Sky Fanzone (more about this later and all other fans welcome of course, as we all love cycling!) we tend to be out on the barriers at 4.30am, however as per last year we could have made that 14.30 and been on the barriers as it was much quieter than it has been since around 2001 when even though "Asterix" won for the third time it was still quiet.

Up at the Arc de Triomphe they now have big screens on either side of the Arc itself for people to see all the action, and don't forget the ladies race at lunch time too which will feature most of the best cyclists in the world doing 10 laps of the course, plus as they go around the Arc you should see the riders on and off for about 25 seconds per lap, on the Champs with them going up and down it is more like 12 to 15 seconds, less the closer you get to the Rond Point des Champs Elysees as the riders are carrying the extra speed down from the Arc, plus its flatter at that end too so they carry more speed going up.

Regards the Team Sky Fanzone, we have two events in Paris on the weekend, both of which can be found on Facebook at the following links https://www.facebook.com/events/427506134067339 for Saturday to watch the Alpe d'Huez stage (and https://www.facebook.com/events/710352025730350 for the stage itself on Sunday) where we hire a bar called Le Frog XVI on Avenue Kleber with a couple of large screen televisions, and you can order cheaper drinks in our bar than you can upstairs. It is a micro brewery with a number of Craft Beers and good pub grub which all come with a free coffee in our bar, this is open from 1pm and closes when most people leave and you get to enjoy the day with many like minded fans too. Here you will also get some information about the Fanzone on the Sunday too.

Speaking of which, on Sunday we tend to congregate in a area near the top of the Champs Elysees, this time probably in the same place as in 2013 on the corner of the Arc and Champs Elysees on the opposite side of the road to Cartier, and the same side as Publicis (the place to go to the bathroom, for free, also has food and drink available to purchase if you need any). I would suggest that if it is warm to have plenty of water and as little alcohol as possible on the day, some people will go the opposite way of course. But, no matter what happens you will have a great day.

If you need any information our email address is included on the links and any information you need we can answer by reply or on here of course.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Thanks for all that Dave. I'll try and pop in for the Alpe d'Huez stage. I'll be the short, fat, balding one.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    Thanks for all that Dave. I'll try and pop in for the Alpe d'Huez stage. I'll be the short, fat, balding one.

Are you actually Richie Porte?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Probably shorter, definitely fatter and more balding.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    I am glad someone started this thread as I was going to do it myself in the next week or so. We are also in Paris for the final stage, sold it to the wife that a romantic weekend at the end of July would be a good idea, “what do you mean there is a bike race on? No of course I didn’t know dear!!”

We are going to swerve Champs but will slot in somewhere else around the city later in the day. Does anyone know what happens for presentation, do they allow everyone nearish to podium area? Also as Saturdays stage could be a big deciding factor, does anyone have any tips on where to catch the end of it, bar/café with a bit of atmosphere?

A couple of years I watched the Saturday stage with the SKY fans (might or might not be your taste, but they're a good bunch) in the Frog XVI, 110 avenue Kleber. Since I live here eating fish and chips and drinking bitter was a novel way to spend the afternoon, plus they've a big TV and air con. They're there this year too.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Sorry Bigbluedave, only just saw your (infinitely more detailed) post. Was a good bash in 2013, might try and join you again if that's OK?
  • Sorry Bigbluedave, only just saw your (infinitely more detailed) post. Was a good bash in 2013, might try and join you again if that's OK?

If you can make it, then it would be great to see you again and drink a pint of bitter together. :D
  • Thanks for all that Dave. I'll try and pop in for the Alpe d'Huez stage. I'll be the short, fat, balding one.

Probably shorter, definitely fatter and more balding.

I look forward to seeing you there, if I don't recognize you I apologize, but make sure you say hello to everyone in there, as we are all friendly.
  • englander
    englander Posts: 232
    This is a question I asked in the Tour and Expedition forum but didn't get an answer, but I'm certain that someone here will know.

I, too, have the pleasure of being in Paris on the day of the final stage, however, I will be cycling into the centre in the morning. I've noticed that a couple of the roads heading into Paris that I will be using are also going to be used in the race that day. Does anyone know what time the roads will be completely shut to cycling traffic before the race actually begins?
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    This is a question I asked in the Tour and Expedition forum but didn't get an answer, but I'm certain that someone here will know.

I, too, have the pleasure of being in Paris on the day of the final stage, however, I will be cycling into the centre in the morning. I've noticed that a couple of the roads heading into Paris that I will be using are also going to be used in the race that day. Does anyone know what time the roads will be completely shut to cycling traffic before the race actually begins?

Caravan doesn't leave the start until 1415. So you ought to be alright until then at least then, with more/less time depending on how close you are to the start/finish. I know my mate in Paris has ridden the route with the gendarmes snapping at his heals, got back to home, changed and got to the Champs with plenty of time to watch the circuit...
  • effillo
    I think we will be joining you on the Saturday, we are due to be on a bike tour which should finish near the Dupleix station at around 3pm so not too far away. Anyone know what time the stage is likely to finish, i am guessing around 4-4:30ish?

Be good to meet up with a few like minded people and have a few beers and some grub. We will then make a decision on what we do on the Sun, wife is pregnant so a day camped on the barrier is off the cards, plus we will require a toilet option nearby I expect.

Here is hoping we will be cheering on Froomey in yellow and Cav winning the sprint leaving zee Germans in his dust.
  • dish_dash
    Anyone know what time the stage is likely to finish, i am guessing around 4-4:30ish?

Finish in the roadbook is scheduled between 1619 and 1644...
  • effillo
    perfek
  • You are forgetting that the ladies race starts at lunch time so the roads will be closed by 10am (all times in CEST) like last year. If you want to actually ride on the course you will need to be on the Champs Elysees by 8.30am as the Police and Gendarmerie will stop cyclists not on official tours at this point, if they keep it to the same times as last year. Stage will be setting off late and is due to finish about 7.30pm to 7.45pm.
  • dish_dash
    You are forgetting that the ladies race starts at lunch time so the roads will be closed by 10am (all times in CEST) like last year. If you want to actually ride on the course you will need to be on the Champs Elysees by 8.30am as the Police and Gendarmerie will stop cyclists not on official tours at this point, if they keep it to the same times as last year. Stage will be setting off late and is due to finish about 7.30pm to 7.45pm.

Is that happening again this year? It's been very quiet on that front. I was referring more to the bits before the Champs circuit, coming in from out of town... but they may be shut early too...
  • englander
    englander Posts: 232
    You are forgetting that the ladies race starts at lunch time so the roads will be closed by 10am (all times in CEST) like last year. If you want to actually ride on the course you will need to be on the Champs Elysees by 8.30am as the Police and Gendarmerie will stop cyclists not on official tours at this point, if they keep it to the same times as last year. Stage will be setting off late and is due to finish about 7.30pm to 7.45pm.

I think I'll be getting up early then... I'm only very briefly sharing the route, actually, so if worst comes to worse, I dare say I can walk the few hundred metres on the pavement next to it.
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • You are forgetting that the ladies race starts at lunch time so the roads will be closed by 10am (all times in CEST) like last year. If you want to actually ride on the course you will need to be on the Champs Elysees by 8.30am as the Police and Gendarmerie will stop cyclists not on official tours at this point, if they keep it to the same times as last year. Stage will be setting off late and is due to finish about 7.30pm to 7.45pm.

Is that happening again this year? It's been very quiet on that front. I was referring more to the bits before the Champs circuit, coming in from out of town... but they may be shut early too...

Yes it is, looks like it will be an annual race. It was pretty good to watch last year, especially as it was basically full on attack all the way round. I suspect it will be the same this year but without any crashes to bring a bunch sprint of select riders to the line. Follow @LaCoursebyTDF for updates.
  • effillo
    So I have managed to break my collarbone. Collision with mate on Sunday, he broke his wrist. Trip is 50/50 now, I want to go, wife isn't so sure.
    I'm thinking if we spend the weekend nice and chilled out then try and find the quietest spot possible on Sunday we may be ok. Does anyone have any advice on where may be quietest to view from so I don't get knocked.
    Also if we do go, what is the access like around buses etc? Any chance of getting close? Same goes for podium presentation.