Ribble build, help with tyre choice.

Myster101
Myster101 Posts: 856
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all, hoping somebody can point me in the right direction. I'm currently looking at buying my first road bike and have decided on a Ribble 7005 Sportive. I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible as mountain biking is my main hobby, and thid will be my 4th bike, but want a road bike so I can jump on and go when time is limited. So far I've upgraded to Shimano 105 group set and Mavic Aksium One wheels. What I'm struggling with is the tyres, as I said I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible but having read a few reviews on the default choice tyres (Yaw Nitro Rigid Tyre) I'm thinking I need to upgrade these as well. Just wondering if any of these are half decent as the upgrade price isn't too bad:

Continental Ultra Sport 2 Rigid Tyre
Schwalbe Lugano Folding Tyre
Vittoria Rubino 3 Rigid Tyre

Or do I just go for no tyres and buy something else? Won't be doing any epic rides on it (not yet at least) and won't be the fastest but would like tyres with a bit of puncture protection.

Sorry for the long winded thread but any advice would be much appreciated.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
Ribble 7005 Sportive

Comments

• adz999
    adz999 Posts: 19
    They may cost more, but if you don't like punctures, shop around around and go for continental Gatorskins, been riding them for 4 years in all conditions and never had a puncture.
    adz
  • the Gatorskins are about the most durable you'll find. But the Roubaix Pro 3 have worked very well for me, at a much lower cost
  • Anything but Lugano. Abysmal tyre. For my money, really hard to beat Schwalbe Durano as a general purpose tyre, fast and smooth enough, and last a long time. Rubino aren't a bad tyre by any means, but in my experience they're great in the dry, OK in the wet, but sketchy in mixed conditions. As ever, depends on your riding style. Definitely get folding tyres it the budget allows.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    None of those. I tried the Rubino's once, found them slippy in the wet, and wrote off the rear when a flint shard sliced straight through it. Rubino Pros may be better.

I'd say go for a folding tyre just to save weight, and 25mm for a bit of comfort. Michelin Pro 4 SC are a good all rounder, and cheaper than the Conti 4000s II which are favoured by many
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If your budget will stretch I'd go for the MIchelin Pro4 Endurance in 25mm (around £50 the pair at Ribble)

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/michelin-pro4-endurance-v2-folding-tyre/michtyrf150

If that's too much then there's not a lot wrong with the Michelin Lithion 2 in 25mm (about £23 the pair at Ribble)

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/michelin-michelin-tyres-road-tri-track-folding-michelin-lithion-2-folding-tyre/michtyrf425
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    The best tyres on the Ribble drop-down menu on the bikebuilder are quite expensive; Conti 4 season, GP 4000s II Schwalbe One etc.

For sake of convenience and 10 - 20 quid, I would just get from Ribble with the bike, but you can select no tyres and get something else (or the same models) on sale from elsewhere (or Ribble themselves, they have a wider selection in the actual tyres section rather than what is available in the bikebuilder)
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048