Aero vs. Endurance vs. TT

RonRon83
RonRon83 Posts: 11
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I am an amateur triathlete who's also like the weekend long rides (many miles and a bit of climbing).

I would say it's a mix of 70\30 for flat\cilimbing.

I want to buy new bikes, and I can't decide which type I should get.

I would really love to get some help, and if you can point out a specific model (I would say the mid price range), I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks and safe rides,

Ron

Comments

• Have a look at Planet-x, Dolan, Ribble etc.

You need to set some kind of budget
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • RonRon83
    I was thinking about the Merida 5000 reacto.

This is in my price range.

Any thoughts?
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    Hi there,
    An aero bike would probably suit you fine- modern aero frames don't concede much weight of comfort anymore and can be used as all round bikes as well as for putting the aero bar extensions on.

The Merida has relatively good reviews and the brand is apparently pretty good (either 1st or second biggest bike manufacturer in the world with tons of experience) but not seen all that much over here.

If you really have no clue about what you want to go for, then just do a search for 'best aero bike' or similar and see what grabs your attention. Then look to see if the bikes will fit you and where you can buy from that would allow a test ride.

If you plan on doing long rides at the weekend then a dedicated TT bike is a no-no, as almost everything about them is bad for long distance riding. Granted, they go dead fast in a straight line on smooth roads, but much more than that and they tend to struggle.

I would probably also avoid the 'sportive' bikes if you intend to race on it regularly, although if you are unable/ unwilling to get into an aggressive position on the bike then there would be no reason why you couldn't go for one- the only real difference between them and full on race machines is the geometry.

Good luck!

Good luck!
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    at a £2000 budget, + the tour discounts knocking about. Why don't you see how close an LBS can get to £2000 for a Propel Adv Pro 2
  • RonRon83
    at a £2000 budget, + the tour discounts knocking about. Why don't you see how close an LBS can get to £2000 for a Propel Adv Pro 2

They come with a 105 groupset, is it a big difference from the Ultegra (in terms of value for money for weight)?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Minor differences, but nothing that will slow you down.