Ex demo/hire bikes

AllanES
AllanES Posts: 151
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Does anyone have experience of buying ex demo or ex hire bikes?
For example from Rutland Cycling.
This here looks a good deal to me.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/298911/products/ex-demo-2015-trek-domane-4-5-carbon-road-bike-58-cm.aspx

And is a bike I'm considering as my next bike purchase. Normal price is probably outside my budget but the 35% off brings it within budget.
My head says no, who knows what scrapes, scratches it has or how it's been treated. But......!
Tempting.
I just wondered if anyone had been down this route before and bought a shop ex-demo or hire bike.

Thanks.
Red Triban 3
Giant Defy 1

Comments

• plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    I bought my Scott Solace from Start cycles. That was an ex demo. Before I bought it I rang them up and asked someone to go and inspect it and yo tell me what marks it had. They did that and I am sure Rutland, who I have had dealings with and are very good, would also do the same. You could also ask for photos of any scratches.

My came, it had a couple of minor marks but I saved over £1000. I also think your statutory rights are still there if you get it and it's not as described.
  • plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    The other thing to bear in mind as because it's a a Trek I'm not sure they will send it, you will have to collect.
  • AllanES
    AllanES Posts: 151
    The other thing to bear in mind as because it's a a Trek I'm not sure they will send it, you will have to collect.

Thanks for the advice re:calling them and/or asking for photos of the actual bike.
    I may do that.

And yes, you're right, it is collection only since it's a Trek.

Thanks again
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    As long as they confirm the warranty is unaffected I'd certainly consider one. I always think it would get more abuse from me than from even the most cack-handed of test riders. Both my bikes were in decidedly less than showroom condition within days of purchase :oops: