Climbers Jersey 2.0

Spatulala
Spatulala Posts: 291
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Recently I bought a Castelli Climbers Jersey 2.0. My only concern is that I usually wear a sleeveless base layer under my jersey, and I'm guessing you can't really do that with this one. Anyone else had this issue, did you stick with the Climbers Jersey or does it never get worn?

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Recently I bought a Castelli Climbers Jersey 2.0. My only concern is that I usually wear a sleeveless base layer under my jersey, and I'm guessing you can't really do that with this one. Anyone else had this issue, did you stick with the Climbers Jersey or does it never get worn?
    Er, what are you expecting to happen if you wear the base layer under it? Plague of locusts?

I'm not familiar with the garment, but I'm pretty sure if there was an issue they'd put it on the label, if your jersey does somehow self destruct Castelli are usually pretty good with their warranty.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    i thought one point of it was that you don't need to use a mesh baselayer under it as it wicks/dries so well

adding a baselayer would just add weight and reduce performance, why would you do that?

on hot days i use the similar aero jersey, no need for anything under it, it wicks/dries almost as fast, if the weather is cool then i'd wear a heavier jersey plus a mesh
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I presume a climbers jersey is designed primarily for heat dissipation? Heat due to low airspeed being the only thing I can think of that would jusitfy a "climber" jersey category.
    If that's the case, I presume wearing a base-layer beneath it will undermine the design intent. i.e. Why wear a jersey designed to keep you cool and then add layers?

I've used a mesh layer under a standard jersey in the past for doing very long climbs in hot weather but if the jersey is purpose designed what's the point?
  • bobbydazzla
    bobbydazzla Posts: 289
    I've used the climbers jersey in Spain, on long climbs when the temperature was high 30's. I tried with a mesh base layer and without.

The jersey was good at wicking, but in those conditions you still end up very hot and dripping with sweat so you just have to accept that.

Personal preference was with mesh vest underneath, but that was for comfort not wicking purposes. I prefer the feel of the vest against my skin rather than a jersey.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    I prefer the feel of the vest against my skin rather than a jersey.

HTFU™ :lol:
  • Spatulala
    Spatulala Posts: 291
    Thanks for advice, in answer to questions...

It doesn't work with a base layer because it's so thin and close fitting, so it looks a bit untidy with the mesh underneath

I usually wear a base layer as it's more comfortable than bib straps rubbing against your nips.

Plus base and jersey is often better than jersey alone at wicking sweat (depending on base and Jersey in question)

Went out with it at the weekend sans base layer and it was fine when worn with softer bib straps. On the bike it's really comfy, so I'm sure I'll get good use out of it when the temperature rises.