Campy 10 speed: cassette compatibility

DougDownunder
DougDownunder Posts: 36
edited July 2015 in Workshop
I am considering changing my rear short cage 10 speed mech to a medium cage so that I can utilise a larger capacity cassette for a tour in Europe encompassing long and steep climbs. I am currently running a compact chain set with a 13-26 cassette, the maximum that Campy say is compatible with the short cage derailleur.
Can anyone please tell me whether you have or are using a third party cassette that has a larger cog than the 29 tooth cog Campy makes with a medium cage derailleur and compact cranks?
I've looked at a number of threads and posts across a range of forums where various people have given their opinions. And these opinions have varied widely! :?
I'm not after that. My local bike shop thinks it might work, but I'd like more clarity than that. What I need is factual detail based on experience. I don't want to lay out the not insignificant cash to pay for a derailleur, cassette and chain and not have it work.
Any details of whatever cassette with a biggest cog over and above the 29 tooth cog that people have been able to successfully deploy would be much appreciated. Also, advice on who makes a cassette that is compatible with my Campy transmission - and where I can purchase it - would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers and thanks in anticipation
Doug

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    29 tooth cassette works on a Campagnolo short-cage mech - been running one for years
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks for that Monty Dog. I guess as a last resort that could be my fall back position, but what I really wanted to know was "Can anyone please tell me whether you have or are using a third party cassette that has a larger cog than the 29 tooth cog Campy makes with a medium cage derailleur and compact cranks?"
    Cheers
    Doug
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I thought that the max sprocket was the same on all campag rear mechs. The only difference being chain wrap( chain take up). I am using a short cage veloce with a 29T but I think it would take a bit bigger.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    Campag not the American Campy.
  • Cheshire Cat
    Cheshire Cat Posts: 309
    Shimano 10 speed cassettes work fine with 10 speed Campagnolo shifters, spacing is the same, opens up the option of a 12-30 Ultegra cassette...and yes, I have tried it, the same way that 11 speed Campagnolo cassettes work with 11 speed Shimano.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • Thanks Cheshire Cat. I appreciate that definitive response. If I can't find a 30+ cassette that is compatible with my Campy freehub then that sounds like a great option. I can always swap over my freehub if need be.
    Cheers
    Doug
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Shimano 10 speed cassettes work fine with 10 speed Campagnolo shifters, spacing is the same, opens up the option of a 12-30 Ultegra cassette...and yes, I have tried it, the same way that 11 speed Campagnolo cassettes work with 11 speed Shimano.

Incorrect, not only is the spacing different but the sprockets are different thickness too, it may well 'work' but certainly not optimal. And as I pointed out you can buy a 10 speed Campag 12-30.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_sp-ss.html#spacingk7