UPDATED RockShox Suspension Oil

lpchaparro
lpchaparro Posts: 4
edited July 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello.
I’m writing you from Chile. I own a 2013 RockShox SID Solo Air RLT 26” and is time for me to do some maintenance (First Time).
To be honest, in order to find the RockShox Suspension Oils over here you have to invest plenty of money on importing these lubs. I want to avoid this and I´d like to use different oils, from SRAM TECH I read that 5wt and 15wt suspension oils are needed. I´ve also read that RockShox used to be Torco Oils but now, since the bottle is very similar to Maxima Oils, I´ve seen comments about RockShox is now Maxima oils.
I´m not completely sure, but I might be able to find Torco, Maxima or Silkolene oils (among other Motorcycle Suspension Oils). I´d like to know should I stay with Torco or Maxima. Looking Peter Verdone Oil Chart, I can see RockShox are identical with Torco but Maxima is not even close, probably the oil chart was made when RS was using Torco.
If any of you handles updated information or knows the real or most equivalent oil, please help me out, I don´t really want to bring that from overseas.
Thank you.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Use any brand of suspension oil. I use Juice Lubes fork oil but there are plenty of others including motorcycle suspension oil as long as it's the correct weight .
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    RM is wright, use any brand fork oil you can find but make sure it's the correct weight especialy the damper oil. lowers use oil only for lubrication purpose and nothing else, correct level is nesesary to get the most out of the fork, to much and will be harsh to little and will not provide enough support and will bottom out easily
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Thank so much for your answers.
    I've seen that oil even ith the same weight the do have different viscosity index. Should I be worried about it?
    As an example, Silkolene 5wt is has a lower viscosity index than same RC 5w.
    I'm not a Pro rider nor nohing lime that, just want the fork to work as it should be.

I appreciate your help.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The RS 5w is very viscous for a 5w, but as it's only used for lubrication and not damping, it's not a big deal, just use a quality oil.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    The RS 5w is very viscous for a 5w, but as it's only used for lubrication and not damping, it's not a big deal, just use a quality oil.

5WT in a RS fork is for damping, the 15wt is for bath lube.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Doh, your right, there are some comparisons online that show the RS5W as having similar viscosity to many 15W products.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    True that weight is not a good guide especially for damper fluid. I use Maxima for damping, as said above it's rebranded for Rockshox.
    For lubrication of lowers, Rock oil.
    If you use the same damping brand all the time, you get to understand its properties and can tune you fork with different weights if appropriate.

BTW, do these oil degrade with time? Are they hygroscopic?
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • Thank you so much for your replies
    Ok, I´ll go with Maxima but, should I use 5wt for the damper and 15wt for the lower legs and air chamber?
    Could I assume that and updated oil chart would that actual Rock Shox oil have the same properties than Maxima oils? As it says right now that is equivalent to Torco’s.

Once again, I appreciate your help.