Uran Uran 's inconsistency

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited July 2015 in Pro race
twice second at the Giro - Sky's next big thing - till they dumped him! - now he's not getting honourable mentions in the contenders list - and he's only 28

two nice rides at the end of the Giro this year but if fit would think his Giro efforts might set him up for a strong Tour?

Burn too brightly too young or something still to give?

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    He never seems to get much team support, not even at Sky. You're right about the lack of honourable mentions, I'd put him in with a decent chance of a top 10. But its a crowded field...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Purito hasn't been mentioned nearly at all in a Tour which is all about the mountains if they get through the first section unscathed. Although never a genuine contender due to his TT he has very high placings over a long period. Definitely one to watch.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Purito hasn't been mentioned nearly at all in a Tour which is all about the mountains if they get through the first section unscathed. Although never a genuine contender due to his TT he has very high placings over a long period. Definitely one to watch.

He's in all the major previews. I'm hoping for a couple of stage wins and a top 5 placement. The relatively low TT kms and loadsa mountain finishes should be good for him.

In my fantasy world the big names all drop out and Purito finally gets a GC win!
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    Purito has been mentioned in a "How have we not mentioned him?" kind of way, in that the field is such high quality that he's 5th favourite.

Uran won't have team support due to his overall bad showing at the Giro, thus can't be a contender for anything other than sneaking into the Top 10
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    Wasn't Uran's poor Giro mostly down to the fact that he was ill for much of the race and only started to recover towards the end? If he performs to his best in this Tour, he is a genuine contender for a top-five spot.

DD.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    All changed after today. Podium for Uran doesn't seem so far away now.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    If inconsistency is only being good for 2 out of 3 stages when it gets to a run of 3 in the mountains then he is. Other than that he just seems a notch below the big GT guys.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Other than that he just seems a notch below the big GT guys.
    That's exactly his problem as far as I can tell, he usually seems to struggle to gain any time over the top tier of GT riders in the mountains. In the 2013 Giro IIRC he won a mountain stage, but that was before Wiggins dropped out so nobody really chased him. After that, he only ever lost time to Nibali when riding for himself. Similarly in 2014, he had a really good TT to get into the overall lead but then (again IIRC) was always forced to "limit his losses" to Quintana in the mountains. I guess that might have worked out differently if he'd only lost seconds instead of minutes on the Stelvio stage, but in an event like this with barely any ITT'ing I think he's liable to slowly slip back down the GC once they hit the mountains.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    We know what he is at this point. He's a pretty one-paced diesel climber, that for the most part tries to limit his losses on the climbs, but who generally has a bad day here and there. He's not the explosive, attacking Colombian that some want him to be. In Grand Tours he's a rich man's Zubeldia. On really good form I can imagine him outlasting the other fringe contenders and sneaking a top 5.
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    All changed after today. Podium for Uran doesn't seem so far away now.

Might be worth an each way punt @120/1 (Paddy Power)