Slick tyre recommendations for 26inch wheels

Klang180
Klang180 Posts: 22
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hello all.

I have been running Conti Sport Contacts on my MTB for the past 5 years and they are finally showing their age. I think they have been brilliant with only a couple of punctures in that time and a massive improvement on the nobblies i had on before.

So logic would dictate that i just replace these with another pair but i know that companies often change their products and i have had bitter experience in the past of later iterations being nowhere near as good as the preceding product.

So to finally get to my question, what are your recommendations for a MTB slick with a max budget of £50? I see i can get the contis for about £45 a pair but can i do better looking at more modest offerings such as City Jets?

Thanks for your time i look forward to your expert input!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would stick with the Contis.

City jets are cheap, but heavy and IMO harsh.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    schwalbe kojaks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The SCJs are a good budget tyre but rather 'lifeless' feeling compared to the better tyres.

Of the ones I have tried on my commuter, the Sport Contacts are one of the best, consider also the Panaracer RiBMo as it's profile means it's a bit faster, not tried a Kojak to compare it to. Avoid the Spesh Nimbus, very disappointing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Klang180
    Thanks for your input. It seems that maybe i should stick with the contis then. I was tempted by the Kojaks as i saw good things about them but they have absolutely no tread at all, is that wise? Does it make a difference seen as they are slicks?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Makes no difference on the road - bike tyres are too thin to aquaplane.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Thanks for your input. It seems that maybe i should stick with the contis then. I was tempted by the Kojaks as i saw good things about them but they have absolutely no tread at all, is that wise? Does it make a difference seen as they are slicks?
    i have used them in typical Swedish Winters on the Pub run.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Klang180
    Oh i see thanks for that. I always felt a little nervous cornering in wetter conditions on my Contis and assumed it was the lack of grip but i guess that wasn't the case.

Just seen the Panaracer Pasela PT in 1.5 at a good price, are these worth a look?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Grip will reduce in the wet, but having more tread doesn't change that, friction is lower as the water is a lubricant, but with bike tyres there is no need to clear it via the tread pattern like you need on cars. The Conti's don't have much in the way of tread, it's only really function is to let you know when it's wearing out!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.