Quintana angered by Nibali comments on whereabouts

FocusZing
FocusZing Posts: 4,373
edited July 2015 in Pro race
"Nairo Quintana has hit back after Vincenzo Nibali (Astana) questioned his whereabouts during the Critérium du Dauphiné having not seen him race since the Tour de Romandie. During the race, the defending Tour de France champion asked, "and where is Quintana?" Those comments hit a raw nerve for the Movistar rider and Quintana, the only rider of the four favourites without a maillot jaune in his wardrobe, expressed his anger with Nibali's comments.

While Nibali, Chris Froome and Contador have been training together on the Spanish island of Tenerife, Quintana explained he benefits from living at altitude, 2745 metres in Combita, with his wife and young daughter.

"I have quite the advantage that I can train at altitude at my home in Boyacá. I do not need to go on a training camp at Teide in Tenerife, like the others do,” he said, adding that he does not train at home to miss doping controls. "Rest assured, I am also checked there."

Quintana also expressed his disappointment with comments by his rivals and media that he is a "penniless rural backwoods boy-done-good".

"They speak of somewhere like Colombia as if it is a country lost in a jungle, far away from everything and everyone," said Quintana. "Two years ago, they also suggested that I am a child of a poverty-stricken family. My parents are not rich, but not poor."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-quintana-angered-by-nibali-comments-on-whereabouts/

I would have thought it's better not to throw stones. Looking forward to the mountain battles.

Comments

• epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    I am expecting to see the renowned tester Quintana charge around Utrecht as if on a motorbike
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    I saw him and his bro riding up the lower slopes of Col de la Croix de Fer out of St Jean last Saturday lunchtime. Unfortunately I was heading downhill, so could offer no climbing tips...
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I'm generally a Nibs fan, but why knock Quintana for living and training at home?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    I'm generally a Nibs fan, but why knock Quintana for living and training at home?

Didn't he just ask "where is he"?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    That's just Nibali's way. He's always been a bit of a sh1t stirrer. Quintana should just ignore him.

In this case though, I think Nibali was actually just referring to other riders' form and having little information on Quintana.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    "When we crossed the line, Bradley turned and looked at me," Nibali said. "If he wants to be a great champion, he needs to have a bit of respect for his adversaries. Sometimes turning around and looking into your face is an insult."
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    "When we crossed the line, Bradley turned and looked at me," Nibali said. "If he wants to be a great champion, he needs to have a bit of respect for his adversaries. Sometimes turning around and looking into your face is an insult."

Probably heat of the moment stuff. Seems Nibbles is quite the impulsive one. Quintana playing with a straight bat rather than trying to swat away the silly accusations. Nibbles as Rich says has form, but then others do as well.

Its winding up nicely.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    That's just Nibali's way. He's always been a bit of a sh1t stirrer. Quintana should just ignore him.

In this case though, I think Nibali was actually just referring to other riders' form and having little information on Quintana.

Does sound a bit like something has been lost in translation, doesn't it?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    It's a bit rich from Nibs to be questioning other riders, given his current team.

DD.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    No one else amused that he's from Boyaca? (Insert your own "sha" if you please).