Best place to buy a Garmin 810 - Ignore 1000?

2»

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    1000 can take micro SD card and also comes loaded with all of UK from the factory I think (dont know if that is on internal memory or on a supplied card.
    Comes with maps on internal memory. Can then use a card too. The maps on the 1000 are a step up from those that came on the 800 (though I assume I could have updated the 800 ones).
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,580
    Looks like the 1000 might currently be better vfm then - like the look of the strava segment/how far ahead/behind you are feature on the 520, but t'internet tells me that the 1000 will have this capability in a firmware update later this year.

I'm also hoping that with a bigger screen I might be able to get part map, part data, or failing that just loads more data fields than the 8 I can see on my 500 - could be wrong though, they might just be bigger and still only amount to 8.

Short battery life is unlikely to be an issue for me, having a young family makes super long rides rare, but IF it were ever to worry me, I have an edge 205 floating about, or the 500 I could use as backup I guess.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dhope
    Looks like the 1000 might currently be better vfm then - like the look of the strava segment/how far ahead/behind you are feature on the 520, but t'internet tells me that the 1000 will have this capability in a firmware update later this year.

I'm also hoping that with a bigger screen I might be able to get part map, part data, or failing that just loads more data fields than the 8 I can see on my 500 - could be wrong though, they might just be bigger and still only amount to 8.

Short battery life is unlikely to be an issue for me, having a young family makes super long rides rare, but IF it were ever to worry me, I have an edge 205 floating about, or the 500 I could use as backup I guess.

Can have 10 data fields according to google (don't have the 1000 nearby to check properly)
    You can overlay a few data fields on the map too. I tend to have map with %HR and %FTP in the corners.
    The 1000 is newer and shinier. Also, this is you we're talking about. You'll get the 1000 :twisted:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    another thing to bear in mind is that if you do buy an extra map on a micro-SD card, once you've paired that map/card to a device, it's locked forever. i.e. not transferable to another device when you upgrade, even if it's a Garmin-branded map card. I had an email argument with Garmin about it when I upgraded from 800 to 1000. grrr.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Why would anyone buy a map when they are available for free?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Only if you wanted Ordnance Survey maps, but then I prefer the Talkytoaster maps anyway...
  • MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    I bought the 810 from Bikediscount, as for the price difference, its still quite a substantial jump to 1000 from an 810 and if your wanting to buy a HRM and cadence then that again will ramp the price up even more. My 810 is good the mapping function works well, albeit I do miss some turns but that could be how I`ve set my way points etc. Battery life is good, the fact you can upload your rides via your phone is handy but it can be a bit hit and miss at times so not fast or immediate . Now that the new models are out I suppose it adds further confusion and no doubt the 1000 will get replaced as well. One thing tho the 1000 is mahoosive , even for me the 810 is mahoosive. From reading this thread the only real difference appears to be the screen quality, as for the other stuff its all guff really txt alerts, call alerts wtf?? If I`m really honest my old 200 worked just as well as this 810, I just wanted the HRM and cadence.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    another thing to bear in mind is that if you do buy an extra map on a micro-SD card, once you've paired that map/card to a device, it's locked forever. i.e. not transferable to another device when you upgrade, even if it's a Garmin-branded map card. I had an email argument with Garmin about it when I upgraded from 800 to 1000. grrr.
    Really? I had a GB maps card, that I then gave to a friend when I was given a Europe map card. I'm sure it worked in their device?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    , as for the other stuff its all guff really txt alerts, call alerts wtf?? quote]

This made me chuckle. It goes to show how different we all are and how hard it must be for Garmin to please everyone.

This is my most favourite function of the 1000.
    Any texts can be read on the unit without stopping.
    For calls I can see who's calling and make a decision whether to stop and answer or not.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922

Are you sure? When I got my 810 I pulled the MicroSD card out of my 800 and slotted it into the 810 and enabled the map with no issues.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • daniel_b

Can have 10 data fields according to google (don't have the 1000 nearby to check properly)
    You can overlay a few data fields on the map too. I tend to have map with %HR and %FTP in the corners.
    The 1000 is newer and shinier. Also, this is you we're talking about. You'll get the 1000 :twisted:

Thanks dhope, and yes you were right, BUT only after several people had re-iterated how much newer/higher quality screen and other benefits there are :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • dhope
    Thanks dhope, and yes you were right, BUT only after several people had re-iterated how much newer/higher quality screen and other benefits there are :D

Uh huh. I recognise this behaviour in myself.

Want Garmin
    Which Garmin?
    Newest Garmin
    Is newest best?
    Wait for other people to justify it we does
    Yes precious
    Yes precious, new Garminses
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • daniel_b

Uh huh. I recognise this behaviour in myself.

Want Garmin
    Which Garmin?
    Newest Garmin
    Is newest best?
    Wait for other people to justify it we does
    Yes precious
    Yes precious, new Garminses

:lol:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Well its been ages and you've had tons of feedback so what's it to be?

Byron 50 :-)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Bah - the Garmin 1000 :evil: The thing continues to irritate the hell out of me.

What I hate most at the moment is that I'll load a course that's a ride I've ridden before and the 1000 will take (literally) 5 minutes to "calculate" the route and then try to take me on lots of little (and stupid) shortcuts. What's worse is if you get it to navigate you on a route you know - the routing is stupid and inaccurate - possibly because the Garmin base maps are rubbish.

If I could have my 800 with the 1000 screen, I would.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The 520 screen is not as nice as the 1000 but the res is close
  • meanredspider
    Here's what I mean about the Garmin routing. What you might not be able to see is that it's taken me into a little housing estate and the roads aren't actually joined. What I wanted it to do was to continue on the main roads. You can see I actually got lost (ended up effectively in someone's front garden/drive)

GarminRouting.JPG
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    if you are still thinking about it

viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12589873&view=unread#p19650959
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    Here's what I mean about the Garmin routing. What you might not be able to see is that it's taken me into a little housing estate and the roads aren't actually joined. What I wanted it to do was to continue on the main roads. You can see I actually got lost (ended up effectively in someone's front garden/drive)

GarminRouting.JPG
    Have you tried with Openstreetmap? (http://www.openstreetmap.org/)
    Would it have the same issue I wonder?
  • meanredspider
    Would it have the same issue I wonder?

I used to use it n my 800 - I might try it. Garmin, for instance, doesn't recognise that I can ride through Vondel Park which I live next to.
  • daniel_b
    Sorry, should have replied to this earlier.

I think the 1000 seems to be the one to go for, from all of the useful posts on this thread - I'm assuming I can still plot a route on gpsies for example and it will follow that route and not try and divert me somewhere else?

I saw the Halfrods offer, but even with the 10% and 10% BC Discount it still appears to be way more pricey than Bike-Discount or a price matched Wiggle equivalent.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • dhope
    I'm assuming I can still plot a route on gpsies for example and it will follow that route and not try and divert me somewhere else?
    Yep, it'll follow a course as it's been told. It's only when you let it try and be clever that it's not.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • meanredspider
    I'm assuming I can still plot a route on gpsies for example and it will follow that route and not try and divert me somewhere else?
    Yep, it'll follow a course as it's been told. It's only when you let it try and be clever that it's not.

The "clever" bit is Turn Guidance. If, when you start a route, it starts "calculating" that's when it goes wrong. I don't really understand why. It will take a shortcut if you let it (ie you go out and back on the same bit of tarmac). I think that you can overcome it by loading waypoints.