Fork Juuuuudddddeeerrr (rumble rumble)

Jdon
Jdon Posts: 45
edited July 2015 in Cyclocross
Hi guys, Just purchased my first CX bike, Its a carbon Crosslight Csix frame with Ultegra groupset, Fulcrum CX7 wheels (not the best) and an Easton ec90x fork. Which brings me to my first really issue...... Judder!! I know its a common issue and I have basically tried everything I know to solve it. Well I have tried toeing in the pads but its not helped. I know the next remedy would usually be a fork mounted cable hanger but the Easton doesn't have a hole for this. It has one at the back but not front? Any ideas of what else I could try?? Also what does everybody think of CX70 cantis?? I seem to be getting no bite on the rear? Any ideas? Cheers Dudes
Fork.jpg
Bike.jpg

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Hi guys, Just purchased my first CX bike, Its a carbon Crosslight Csix frame with Ultegra groupset, Fulcrum CX7 wheels (not the best) and an Easton ec90x fork. Which brings me to my first really issue...... Judder!! I know its a common issue and I have basically tried everything I know to solve it. Well I have tried toeing in the pads but its not helped. I know the next remedy would usually be a fork mounted cable hanger but the Easton doesn't have a hole for this. It has one at the back but not front? Any ideas of what else I could try?? Also what does everybody think of CX70 cantis?? I seem to be getting no bite on the rear? Any ideas? Cheers Dudes
    Fork.jpg
    Bike.jpg
    Fork mounted cable hanger is obviously the simplest solution, but failing that, have you played around with the headset bearing adjustment?

Apologies if you already know this: The underlying cause is that when the front brake starts to bite, the rest of the bike tries to rotate forward slightly relatively to the fork and steerer. This has the unfortunate effect of slackening the brake cable slightly, reducing the bite on the brake. The bike now rotates back to its normal position relative to the fork steerer, but this tightens the brake cable again. And so on...

A loose headset will dramatically accentuate the effect, because the fork/steerer can move further back and forth within the frame. Conversely, a properly-adjusted headset should reduce the effect (though it seems very hard to eliminate completely on some bikes).
    Pannier, 120rpm.