So much choice out there!

foxie2
foxie2 Posts: 6
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi Folks,

I've been looking for quite a while now to find a bike I can live with for at least the next 3 years.
Some trails and downhill planned but not worried about road in any way.

Narrowed it down to 3 bikes:

13 Incline Aalpha
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/13-incline-alpha-27-5-mountain-bike-2015

Voodoo Hoodoo 2015
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-hoodoo-mountain-bike

Norco Charger 7.3
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/charger-73-2015-mountain-bike-ec073457

2 of the 3 are brand new on the market so I cant find any reviews and the Norco doesnt seem to have much available reading wise either.

Any recommendations based on spec?

Thanks
Foxie

Comments

• Cyph3rs
    Cyph3rs Posts: 69
    I'd probably go for the Voodoo Hoodoo.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'd go for the 13. It's the air fork which would decide it for me. I believe the Voodoo has a coil fork.
  • Cyph3rs
    Cyph3rs Posts: 69
    I'd go for the 13. It's the air fork which would decide it for me. I believe the Voodoo has a coil fork.

Good point, I missed that. I change my vote to the 13
  • foxie2
    Hi guys

Thanks for replying, so the frames aren't a deciding factor here? i.e. better frame as parts can be updated later?

Reading about the 13 and the Voodoo frames:
    Voodoo - Designed by Joe Murray (as are all Voodoo)
    13 - Designed by Justin Stevenson

This doesn't bode well for the 13 (and this is the higher model):
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/13-bikes-incline-delta-first-look-43421/

Finally found a review for the alpha model:
    http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/hardtail/halfords-13-incline-alpha-2015-review

Foxie
  • rockmonkeysc
    Forks are often more expensive than frames and can have a bigger impact on the ride.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Both frames are made on the same production line in the same factory, the geometry is pretty much the same.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • foxie2
    Thanks guys, so components > than frame?

that being the case how does the RR 560 hold up against those listed above:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-560-mountain-bike-id_8293151.html

Also where would you guys normally buy frames from? just curious.

Foxie
  • I too would like to find out about the new Hoodoo, will probably buy it anyway but would like to see what others think against the RR which some hold highly
  • The Rookie
    What makes you think any of the frames is better than any other?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • foxie2

What makes you think a fork or gearset or saddle is better than any other. There's a huge market for this stuff for a reason and there's also cult followings on brands for a reason.

What would be the point of forums if I couldn't ask the question! I'd rather make an informed decision when I go to spend £500 of hard earned money.
  • foxie2

What makes you think a fork or gearset or saddle is better than any other. There's a huge market for this stuff for a reason and there's also cult followings on brands for a reason.

What would be the point of forums if I couldn't ask the question! I'd rather make an informed decision when I go to spend £500 of hard earned money.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Big brand frames are no better than any others. Specialized don't make their own frames, they buy them from Meridian just like Carrera and loads of others. In no measurable way are big brand frames better.
    With forks and transmission better quality means a measurable improvement in performance. Higher level forks mean less weight, damping, stiffer chassis and more adjustment. With transmission it's less weight, faster shifting and longer life.
    Having had Specialized and Giant hardtail frames (I snapped both) I would definitely say they are no better than cheaper alternatives.
    As for cult following of brands, in a lot of years mountain biking I have never seen this and think you just made it up.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Big brand frames are no better than any others. Specialized don't make their own frames, they buy them from Meridian just like Carrera and loads of others. In no measurable way are big brand frames better.
    With forks and transmission better quality means a measurable improvement in performance. Higher level forks mean less weight, damping, stiffer chassis and more adjustment. With transmission it's less weight, faster shifting and longer life.
    Having had Specialized and Giant hardtail frames (I snapped both) I would definitely say they are no better than cheaper alternatives.
    As for cult following of brands, in a lot of years mountain biking I have never seen this and think you just made it up.
  • rockmonkeysc
  • rockmonkeysc
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The 13 Alpha is about the best £500 bike I have ever seen. That fork is way better than anything else at this price.
  • suspiciouslemon
    suspiciouslemon Posts: 13
    edited July 2015
    The 13 Alpha is about the best £500 bike I have ever seen. That fork is way better than anything else at this price.
    What about those brakes though? I haven't seen overly positive reviews regarding them.
    Also if looks are a factor, the paintwork seems to be shoddy regarding reviews. On top of that however, it seems to be an otherwise quality bike
  • supersonic
    They aren't the latest and greatest, but offer reasonable power. A simple £40 upgrade to Shimano should you not like them. Most get on fine with them. Certainly wouldn't put me off buying the bike if it fits. A crap fork would though ;-)
  • Are the forks simply so much better purely because of the air suspension? Suntour confuses me quite a bit
  • supersonic
    Damping - it has a adjustable hydraulic damping unit. This offers good control. The air makes it adjustable to your weight/riding preferences, then we have stiff 32mm alloy stanchions and a good overall weight. Compare this to a Suntour XCT which is three models below and has no damping, flimsy stanchions, and weighs 700g more.
  • Thanks ever so much for the rundown supersonic, that has affected my decision a lot
  • rockmonkeysc
    Air spring is much lighter and more adjustable. Also a better quality damper in the fork in this case as well.
    Coil springs are cheaper and heavier.
  • CBiscuit
    CBiscuit Posts: 27
    I too would like to find out about the new Hoodoo, will probably buy it anyway but would like to see what others think against the RR which some hold highly

What I was thinking! How does the RR 560 compare to the 13 and the 2015 hoodoo. I kinda rushed into buying the rockrider and now wondering if I should spend a bit more on the 13 or voodoo since halfords have a offer on so both work out about 450. I do like the rockshox suspension but think the frames look a bit better on the other two.
  • The Rookie
    The rockrider frame is very competative on weight, I don't know the weight of the other 2 frames, but I'm as certain as its possible to be that they wont be lighter and are probably heavier.
  • CBiscuit
    CBiscuit Posts: 27
    I know weight is a big issue especially when it comes to the uphill parts. it's just that the geometry of the hoodoo and 13 seem to be aimed at trail riding and are a bit more modern looking. At least besides the forks the rest of the spec seems pretty similar to the rr. Suntour lets the side down on the voodoo but the brakes let the 13 down. It's hard to find professional reviews on the new hoodoo and the rockrider 560. Mbr gave the 13 a good one

Didn't think there would be as much choice around the 400-500 mark!
  • I'm also keen to know more about the norco charger, any opinions would be appreciated