Opinions on a steel 650b Hardtail

TheLanes
TheLanes Posts: 4
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hello I will be buying my first adult hardtail soon (previously owned a specialized hardrock when I was younger).

I would like a bike that's not to heavy so i can lift up the front end and flick it around have fun with it on the dirt but also handle well on the street. I'll also be using it for getting around so I'd like it to be somewhat nimble. I have looked at all the aluminium offerings and some are really good value for money but have decided I'd rather have something a little bit more boutique/unique so have chosen to go the steel route.

I have found a bike that I really like the look of and the price seems decent but would like some opinions.

Here's the bike:

Genesis Latitude 10 2015 Moutain Bike - £899.99
http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/mountain/27/latitude-10
latitude-10.jpg

I would like to know how well it fares against this similarly priced steel hardtail:

On-One 45650b SRAM X9 Mountain Bike - £999.99
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO45650BX9/on-one-45650b-sram-x9-mountain-bike
CBOO45650BX9_P1.jpg

Here's what some things I've noted down about them: Both are British brands. Both have frames that look identical. The latitude lacks hydraulic brakes and is slightly heavier. The On-One seems to have a better fork (140mm compared to the latitudes 120mm Travel).

Sizeing advice: I am 6ft.3" tall with a 36.5" inside leg.

I am hopeing I can get away with a 19" to keep the weight down instead of a larger 20.5" version. The 19" version has a 610mm toptube and a 105mm headtube length. Will those proportions be be ok for me?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Genesis has a lighter and slightly more forgiving frame, in every other respect the on-one is in a different league (premiership to first division) - brakes, transmissions, forks etc.

Why steel? is that a fact based judgement or heart dictating to the head?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.