Can a £500 bike be turned into a great bike through upgrades

Smingino
Smingino Posts: 11
edited March 2018 in MTB buying advice
ok so I have been thrashing around on a mountain bike since I was about 8 but they have always been like £100 bikes.

Im now 29 and feel its time to 'treat' myself to a half decent bike. Really want to cycle the South Downs Way in the UK and go to Spain and do Camino de Santiago.

So question is, can I start with like say a £500 bike, something from Kona, GT or specialized for example and then upgrade bits like the groupset and wheels to then make it a good bike? Does it work like that? Or will a cheap bike always be a cheap bike?

I ask this mainly becuase of budget, this would alowe me to spread the cost over time. I also ask because I want to make sure I really do use the bike as often as I think I will before I spend loads on a hobbie that could just be a summer fad.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited July 2015
    Define 'great'.

Most frames are decent, so most can be made into a decent bike.

Get something with decent forks in that price range - probably from Halfords or Decathlon, and it will do what you want.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • £500 is a big upgrade from what you've been used to. Most £500 bikes should do anything you need to do with it.

As said most frames are decent, the rest of the kit (forks, gearing etc...) can be upgraded over time. Since you mentioned GT, I think they offer very well equipped bikes at that end of the market.
  • buddy_club
    buddy_club Posts: 935
    £500 is a big upgrade from what you've been used to. Most £500 bikes should do anything you need to do with it.

As said most frames are decent, the rest of the kit (forks, gearing etc...) can be upgraded over time. Since you mentioned GT, I think they offer very well equipped bikes at that end of the market.
    But something from halfords or decathlon will often be better value.
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You can get a decent bike for £500 but forget big brands, Decathlon and Halfords are much better at this budget.
    You can upgrade it to a great bike depending on your definition of a great bike.
    I haven't bought a complete bike in years,years. I just upgrade things, including frame and forks. You can easily spend £2k on a frame and £1k on a set of forks if you want to take it to the extreme end of upgrading.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would buy a second hand bike if you are confident as you get much better value for money and if you decide mountain biking is not for you, you can sell it for about the same money.
  • Smingino
    Wow I am really surprised by the answers, from what I have read so far I thought £500 wasn't much for a good bike. I am so glad I asked, I also would never have gone to Halfords or Decathlon, in all honesty I thought those bikes where all mass produced rubbish.

Getting good forks has been mentioned, what sort of forks should I be looking for?
    As for the mention of value for money, is there a particular brand that offers this? From what I have seen Decathlon have their own brand bikes. Are they good? I have never seen anyone on a b'twin bike before.
  • rockmonkeysc
    There's no brand better than others at this price. Suntour can be just as good as or better than Rockshox.
    You need hydraulic damping with at least adjustment for rebound damping.
  • Smingino
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-560-mountain-bike-id_8293151.html

Something like this is good value for money and a good place to start? Upgrade bits as I go along if I feel the need and get more into it?

Would something like this be suitable for cycling the South Downs Way? http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/south-downs-way
    and cycling though the woods? up hills over tree roots and things like that?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes, easily.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's capable of a lot more than just technically easy rides like South Downs Way. You could ride any trail on that bike. It will probably be your ability that's the limiting factor until you get some decent riding skills.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a look at the second link in my sig as to what you can do with a humble frame, Carrera in my case.

At £500 any bike is going to be mass produced, many at that price point are made by Merida who also make the Specialized's at that price point.

The Rockrider is easily the best at this price.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Many bikes costing £4000 are mass produced in exactly the same ways.
    Intense are a good example of why hand built isn't always better.
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    I second or third or wherever we are, the Halfords motion for bikes at this price point. I bought a Bizango for £540 last year and now running 1x10 SLX and a mix of finishing kit and it rides at least as well as a lot of higher priced standard bikes.

Quick word on buying a hardtail at this price range; forks are one of the more important things to get right, as they can make or break a bike. Rockshox are considered to be a better brand than Suntour by many, but on a bike of this price, you'll be getting the base of base spec, coil sprung and narrow stanchions. In my experience, the Suntour Raidons that my VooDoo came with are substantially better than the RS XC forks that came on a friend's Specialized Rockhopper. Just my two pence, but buy whatever you feel comfortable on.

Oh and you'll get far more for your money buying second hand if you feel confident about doing so.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • Smingino wrote:
    ok so I have been thrashing around on a mountain bike since I was about 8 but they have always been like £100 bikes.

Im now 29 and feel its time to 'treat' myself to a half decent bike. Really want to cycle the South Downs Way in the UK and go to Spain and do Camino de Santiago.

So question is, can I start with like say a £500 bike, something from Kona, GT or specialized for example and then upgrade bits like the groupset and wheels to then make it a good bike? Does it work like that? Or will a cheap bike always be a cheap bike?

I ask this mainly becuase of budget, this would alowe me to spread the cost over time. I also ask because I want to make sure I really do use the bike as often as I think I will before I spend loads on a hobbie that could just be a summer fad.

Yes, a good MTB bike will be enough to use it daily and wear it off. I did the Camino de Santiago with my Cervelo R2 and it was fine. Any issues I would always find a local bike shop. Plus once you ride a bike for a long time, you'll know what you like and what you don't for your next purchase.
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    £495, air fork, 1x drivechain, you can't go wrong.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -22-frames

Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I suspect the OP has got something sorted in the last two and a half years!
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    JBA wrote:

Bought a "decent" bike for £500, rode it a couple of times and hasn't since I reckon.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    JBA wrote:

Or, we've just been really helpful!
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Must have used a JCB to dig up a post this old.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • pete112
    pete112 Posts: 8
    Yes a decent £500 bike can be made better through upgrades but it will be more expensive and still leave you with some cheaper components.

Spending as much as you can in the first place is far better value as bike companies get parts for way less and pass that saving on.

I bought a Whyte 805 a year ago for £750 and spent a further £700 on upgrades. I would have got a much better bike if I had spent the full £1500 in the first place.

£500 will get you a very nice bike but if you are planning on upgrading soon, I would just save for a better bike in the first place.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Yes, think of it as Triggers broom.

Buy the £500 bike and upgrade wheels and brakes. Then replace the forks followed by a better frame. When funds allow, fit quality bars, stem and seat post, finishing off with a higher up the range gear shifter., mech and chainset.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Probably already done anything he wanted to in the last 3 years to be honest?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.