Tyre/Tube advice

minimansion
minimansion Posts: 2
edited July 2015 in Commuting general
Hi

This is going to be a straightforward one but im a total novice!

I got a Cannondale Bad Boy given to me a few weeks ago but have had loads of punctures (the cycle path/roads near me aren't great but still seems to happen twice a week)

The rims are Sunrims DS2 and read 622x24 on them and the tyre currently fitted is a Continental Gatorskin and reads 23mm. Should these tyres be getting this many punctures?

I was recommended a Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Are these as good as the reviews? Will they fit my bike & What size would i need? And would it take the same inner tubes as i have a stack of them

Hope some one can help

Thanks

Comments

• Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    I've run Gatorskins before and, while not puncture proof, I found them to be pretty resistant to unscheduled deflations. If you are getting that number of punctures, I would rule out other causes first: is there something stuck in the tyre (thorn, flint shard, etc.) that is causing it? what type of puncture and where on the tube? Are you getting them on both wheels or just one of them?

If you do decide to change tyres, M+ is supposedly very heavy and slow rolling but pretty bomb-proof. You might want to consider the Schwalbe Durano Plus; these use the same sort of features but are a bit lighter and better rolling. I've no experience of either, however: just regurgitating what I've read on here!

HTH,

_
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What is the nature of the hole in the tube, are they pinch flats or could you be trapping the tube under the tyre bead, are you checking the tyre carefully for whatever caused the previous puncture when attempting a repair? Have you checked the rim for any issue?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Pump your tyres to (or very near to) the maximum pressure indicated on the tyre wall. This should stop pinch punctures.
    If you puncture leave the valve in the rim remove the rest on the inner tube and put some air in it and find the hole in the tube. Then see where this would be situated in the tyre and check this very carefully for bits of glass thorns etc. If you can't see anything but puncture in the same place again there is something very small imbedded in your tyre and I would throw it and buy some new ones.
    Marathon plus have great puncture resistance, I've been commuting with them for four years on paths often covered in glass and have never punctured. They are however very heavy and slow and relatively difficult to put on.
    I've also ridden Durano plus on my winter bike and these are a faster tyre but still with pretty good puncture resistance.
    If you are riding on the road I would go for 25 mm Durano plus. If you are riding on untarmaced paths I would go for standard Marathon 25 mm (rather than plus) which you can get here for £16
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s142p1092
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    No such thing as p******* proof tyres. I've been using Vitorria Rubino Pros for a couple of years now and can't remember the last time they let me down - well over a year and 10000 miles ago though.

I also use:
    Continental 4 Seasons - had a p******* due to shard of glass on the first ride with them
    Michelin Pro 4 - but only for racing, grippy but flimsy
    Continental GP4000s - pretty good, but they cost too much