Bearing cone gone in GF Mullet

Kwozemodo
Kwozemodo Posts: 3
edited July 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello

I'm looking at buying my brothers Gary Fisher Mullet to do some bikepacking, however the bearing cone for the front wheel is knackered. I'm not very mechanically minded however would like to learn and fix this myself if possible. I've had a look online and it seem's you can't buy just a bearing cone (it's a Shimano HB-M475), but you can buy the whole front hub for £16 which doesn't seem to bad, however would require me to fit all the spokes etc, which I'm not 100% how to do.

I was wondering how hard it would be to fit the spokes and set the wheel up, or what other options are available to me.

Thanks

Nick

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    2 options,
    One, buy a cone off ebay (the guy buys a whole hub and strips it and sells for parts) - or
    Two, buy a hub and use the axle, cones, locknuts and balls in your old hub (may as well swap the lot while you are at it), swapping the hub body makes no sense at all, that's what I did when my old M475 got a bit tired.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kwozemodo
    Kwozemodo Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look on ebay for a cone or I'll go for option 2 if I can't find one, for some reason I didn't think about just switching the axle instead of the whole hub, saved me lots of pointless work thanks!