Shortening non-Shimano brake hoses

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited July 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
This method worked fine for me with Shimano Deores. Does it work just as well with all makes of brake? I know someone who's buying a bike from Germany, and wants to know if it's a DIY job to swap the hoses left to right. The only information I have is "not sure if they're Shimano" - so any experience with Hope/ Avid/ SRAM/ Magura/ Formula/ Clarks would be appreciated!
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it all depends on the actual brakes.

most makers have the exact info on their web pages. some need spare parts some dont. some you just undo the clamps and refit the brakes on the other side.

it all depends.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    This method worked fine for me with Shimano Deores. Does it work just as well with all makes of brake? I know someone who's buying a bike from Germany, and wants to know if it's a DIY job to swap the hoses left to right. The only information I have is "not sure if they're Shimano" - so any experience with Hope/ Avid/ SRAM/ Magura/ Formula/ Clarks would be appreciated!

should work ok - could use new olive but i'd just undo, swap and refit and expect no leaks. May need to bleed after
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I've never had to bleed or buy new parts with my Hopes.
    With both Avid and Formula I needed both Olives and Barbs as neither were reusable(or weren't after I'd removed them).