Cervelo R2 vs. Cannondale Carbon Synapse 5

kukui
kukui Posts: 5
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
I am considering Cervelo R2 or Cannondale Carbon Synapse 5, just can't decide which is better choice. I am going to buy better wheels no matter which one I choose. Anyone who had a chance to compere these two, could you give me some good advice? Also, I am 183cm so which size would fit me best, 58cm? Is it better option to buy 2014 bike ( f ex. 650 miles on it) so cheaper and upgrade it right away or to buy new one and upgrade anyway but maybe latter ;) ?

Comments

• Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    I am considering Cervelo R2 or Cannondale Carbon Synapse 5, just can't decide which is better choice. I am going to buy better wheels no matter which one I choose. Anyone who had a chance to compere these two, could you give me some good advice? Also, I am 183cm so which size would fit me best, 58cm? Is it better option to buy 2014 bike ( f ex. 650 miles on it) so cheaper and upgrade it right away or to buy new one and upgrade anyway but maybe latter ;) ?

I've got a 56cm R2 (I'm 6'1, works for me) and I love it. RRP is £1999.00 but I'm sure you could pick up a deal, saw one in JE James @ £1799.00.
    Very upgradable (R3) frame and the new 105 Groupset are bang on. There's one on the first page of "road bikes" on here that's been upgraded with Kysriums that looks really nice.

I don't think you'd go far wrong with either bike tbh, and it may just come down to which one you like the look of the most! I'm very happy with my R2 though for what it's worth ;)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • Yankee1
    Yankee1 Posts: 19
    Both of those frames size up large. I'm the same height, and figured a 56 would be the right size in both for me. I didn't end up riding or buying either, but they were on my list. I ended up with a Merckx EMX-1 frame in a 51 (sloping), which is about as close in geometry to the Synapse 56 as two bikes can get.

They're both good bikes. Buy based on looks or price.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Kukui, I was actually thinking about the very same bikes as I have got the urge to add another to the collection and was thinking that either the Synapse or R2 might be better for longer distance rides. I would intend keep my Specialized Allez for the winter which usually involves shorter but perhaps higher intensity (to me anyway!) sessions and would probably swap the Fulcrum 5 LGs currently on my Allez for the stock wheels on the new bike. I know that some purists might consider the Fulcrum 5s not good enough but they work for me and, in honestly, I doubt I would be able to tell much difference between them and more expensive wheels.

Have you given it any further thought or, indeed, made a decision yet?

If I understand it right, the R2 is less agressive than the Allez and the Synapse less still and my inclination is to go for the same size as the Allez which is 56cm (with a 120mm stem). Sizewise, I am about 185cm / 6'1" with an 81cm (ish) / 32" inside leg.

Philly - Out of interest, what did you have before the R2? I ask as I would be interested in what differences you found, particularly if you went from a 'racier' frame.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Philly8mt
    Kukui, I was actually thinking about the very same bikes as I have got the urge to add another to the collection and was thinking that either the Synapse or R2 might be better for longer distance rides. I would intend keep my Specialized Allez for the winter which usually involves shorter but perhaps higher intensity (to me anyway!) sessions and would probably swap the Fulcrum 5 LGs currently on my Allez for the stock wheels on the new bike. I know that some purists might consider the Fulcrum 5s not good enough but they work for me and, in honestly, I doubt I would be able to tell much difference between them and more expensive wheels.

Have you given it any further thought or, indeed, made a decision yet?

If I understand it right, the R2 is less agressive than the Allez and the Synapse less still and my inclination is to go for the same size as the Allez which is 56cm (with a 120mm stem). Sizewise, I am about 185cm / 6'1" with an 81cm (ish) / 32" inside leg.

Philly - Out of interest, what did you have before the R2? I ask as I would be interested in what differences you found, particularly if you went from a 'racier' frame.

Hi there ....

Funnily enough, I came from the Allez. I've kept it (as you intend) as my winter/bad weather bike.
    I find the R2 a more comfortable/lighter/faster ride. This is (as you'd possibly expect) reflected in my Strava times. Despite its "more relaxed" geometry it really is no slouch!
    I'm 6'1 and running my size 56 with a 100mm stem.
    I'm loving it.

Have a look at the R2 on page one of "road bikes" on here ;)
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    wish I hadn't come across this thread. Am now "in lust" with the R2 in the grey and orange colourway. Wish I could find frameset only though...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • ayjaycee
    Philly, Already seen it and suitably impressed. Out of interest, what size is your Allez and what stem (I know we are all different!).

I need to go and see one in the flesh but am away for a couple of weeks after this Tuesday. I think the white one is probably the better bet but can't help thinking that the grey would look better in the flesh than in photos.

Cheers.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • Philly8mt
    Philly, Already seen it and suitably impressed. Out of interest, what size is your Allez and what stem (I know we are all different!).

I need to go and see one in the flesh but am away for a couple of weeks after this Tuesday. I think the white one is probably the better bet but can't help thinking that the grey would look better in the flesh than in photos.

Cheers.

I purchased mine before the grey/orange option became available, from the pictures I think I'd still go white. Perhaps if I saw the grey "out in the wild" I may think differently.

My Allez is a 56 with 100mm stem also
  • ayjaycee
    Having more or less decided on the Cervelo (and,indeed, might even have talked myself up to the R3), I am now in a bit of a quandary having spoken with a bike shop that sells both Cervelo and Cannondale. I happened to be in Cheltenham yesterday and went into the shop which I had never been to before but just happened to walk past. After a short conversation, the salesperson with whom I spoke advised me against the R2 as it was probably not as 'relaxed' as I might be looking for and pointed me straight at the Synapse 6. As mentioned in my previous post, I am looking for something that I will be more comfortable on over longer distances (my 'longer' distance is 60-70 miles and very occasionally a bit further). What I didn't say before is that it hurts me to confess that the need for a more comfortable bike is probably down to age and not being a flexible as I used to be and I don't think it's down to bike fit as such.

The shop in question offered me a test ride on both bikes but I am not personally convinced on the benefits of a short(ish) test ride on the basis that I can probably ride anything for 15-20 miles if it's reasonably well set up without any discomfort and it's only after extended use that any problems arise.

Rightly or wrongly, I am drawn to Cervelo because I think they look better but, in reality, my only real reservation with the new Synapse Carbon (whatever model) is the 'non-standard' BB30a bottom bracket and it kind of annoys that I might decide to invest in an otherwise all Ultegra or 105 fitted bike but have no option but to have the FSA crankset?

Now, I just don't know what way to jump but, in the case of the Cervelo R2 or 3, I'm worried about making a potentially expensive mistake but I want one.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • What I didn't say before is that it hurts me to confess that the need for a more comfortable bike is probably down to age and not being a flexible as I used to be and I don't think it's down to bike fit as such.

Now, I just don't know what way to jump but, in the case of the Cervelo R2 or 3, I'm worried about making a potentially expensive mistake but I want one.

Sounds like you know this bike will not be comfortable for you. A 20mm difference in headtube lengths may not sound a lot but your back won't thank you for it.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    There is very little in the geometry of these two bikes, certainly nothing that would suggest you can't create pretty much identical fits with either. Neither are aggressive in my opinion. I tend to look at stack and reach ratios
    For 56 size

R2 = 1.498
    synapse = 1.52

The HT are 173 mm and 186mm respectively so not a massive difference given that most steerers allow for 30-40mm spacers. If you are worried about fit with these then I would be tempted to say that you shouldn't be thinking about spending £2000 on a road bike. Bit harsh maybe but just sayin.

My choice would be the cervelo. It looks badass imo
  • ayjaycee
    Calpol, Thanks for the advice. This geometry business is something that I have never really paid attention to before and, to be honest, the actual numbers don't mean that much to me - maybe I need to do a bit of research. That said, I have always understood that even the odd few mm here and there can make a big difference to the fit and feel of a bike. The same measurements for my current Allez as those that you refer to for the R2 and Synapse are:

Stack & Reach Ratio: 1.45
    HT: 170

Excuse my ignorance but does that make the Allez much more aggressive than the other two? I ask because if I can't achieve a more comfortable position on the R2 or Synapse, I agree that I would be wasting my money and the same would be said whether the new bike was £500 or £3K (or even more). When I started thinking of a new bike, I didn't really set myself an upper limit and, within reason, budget is not an issue. The limiting factor is my own opinion that I think someone can look a bit too flash by being severely 'overbiked' (not sure that's even a word but you should get my drift). All I want to do are long (for me anyway) but non-competitive rides for my own pleasure - the only competition that I enter is against myself when I compare times on the same run to see how much I am improving. Taking all that into account, I can't help thinking that a £2K 105 or £3K Ultegra equipped bike is probably all I will ever need.

Again, advice much appreciated.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Stack & Reach Ratio: 1.45
    HT: 170

Excuse my ignorance but does that make the Allez much more aggressive than the other two? I ask because if I can't achieve a more comfortable position on the R2 or Synapse,

Again, advice much appreciated.

The smaller the ratio number the more aggressive the geometry.
    https://db.tt/SUqm1IzA
  • ayjaycee
    Calpol, Thanks for the link - that's some research - yours?

It gives me something to think about even if I don't know yet what that 0.48 or 0.70 difference really means in practise!

Cheers again.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S