Kask Protone - Opinions?

moyesie
moyesie Posts: 68
edited July 2015 in Road general
Unfortunately tonight I had the first crash of my fledgling racing career, as such I'm now looking to replace my Kask Mojito.

Kask offer 50% off RRP so (if it applies to all models) it would make the Protone a more reasonable £100 which I'd be happy to pay.

Is anyone using one? They certainly look good in the shop but I've yet to able to try on a large, shops only seem to have mediums on display!

Are they as comfortable as the Mojito? Not overly concerned with the aero benefit although every little helps :)

Comments

• jazgill
    jazgill Posts: 98
    I would second the recommendation above; Helmet feels a lot less bulky than my previous one, Giro Aeon, which felt like having a mushroom sitting on my head. Also, no issue with Oakley glasses and the rear adjustment system allows a really comfortable fit.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    vs. my previous (giro aeon), the protone...

+ least mushroomy helmet i ever had
    + far less wind noise, maybe no more than ears alone cause
    + in strong/gusty sidewinds it doesn't catch the wind, the aeon used to really catch it badly

~ similar weight (label claims 215g, measured 234g)

- far less ventilation, it's ok, but on a really hot day it could get uncomfortable
    - rear cradle extends around the side of my head and fouls the arms of my glasses (oakley radar path), by experiment i've found a position that is ok but it took a while
    - the chin strap is needlessly bulky, comfy enough, but still bulky

...the last two are a bit picky perhaps, overall the protone is much better

the large size has been delayed for months due to production problems, last update was that there may be some in july, not aware of any out there yet

imho if you need large then be prepared for a longer wait, especially if you want a particular colour

i take medium, just, but even those have limited availability in some colours, at the time i wanted white but got white/red as that was all i could find including non-uk sites (maybe more back in stock now)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • jazgill
    jazgill Posts: 98
    I ordered mine from a website in Italy that I use quite regularly.

http://www.ciclimattio.com/it/ciclismo/dettaglio/KASK_CASCO_PROTONE_2015/80072

Worked out a bit cheaper and arrived in 5 days.

Hope that helps.
  • moyesie
    moyesie Posts: 68
    Thanks - all very positive.

One thing that bugs me about the Mojito is the wind noise, the Protone should alleviate some of that.

Unfortunately when dealing with Kask for a crash replacement you deal direct with the distributor; at the moment there is no stock of Protone in large :(

If I want to get back on the bike I may need to settle for the Mojito.