Torque wrenches

simon_masterson
simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all, I have decided I could use a torque wrench for tri bars etc, anyone used the circa £40 ones that Wiggle et al do? Much as I like good quality tools, I don't really want to shell out for a Park Tool etc one (yet) if I don't have to.

Cheers!

Comments

• stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    I have the Wiggle one although it was only £30 when I bought it a couple of months ago. Does the job.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    M parts, cost around £20-25 from Tweeks, does the job. Only complaint as with many of the cheaper end ones can be the shorter bits can make the odd bolt a pain. Is that pain worth the extra £50 for some, Nope
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    sealey stw1012, can be had for 27-28 quid

comes with a good/strong storage case and calibration certificate

had mine for years, get it checked against a calibrated one at work every so often, still fine

btw for a set of bits, the draper expert ones are excellent (way better than the standard draper tools range), overkill if you just need a couple, but the set can be found on amazon, i use mine a lot, no signs of wear at all
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    I have the Lifeline Professional torque wrench (got it as an Xmas present a couple of years back...) and yes, it does the job well and I can't really see how paying any more will get you anything better.

Mine came with a calibration certificate/ sticker so you know it does what it should.
  • Just ordered the Sealey from Amazon, cheers guys. Decided to save on bits for the time being since I only need 5mm, so bought a single Draper one.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    sealey stw1012, can be had for 27-28 quid

comes with a good/strong storage case and calibration certificate

had mine for years, get it checked against a calibrated one at work every so often, still fine

btw for a set of bits, the draper expert ones are excellent (way better than the standard draper tools range), overkill if you just need a couple, but the set can be found on amazon, i use mine a lot, no signs of wear at all

Ha, it may well have been your post that made me buy that very wrench from Amazon, and this bit kit as well - someone (may have been you too) on that thread recommended it and it's top drawer:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001K9R6W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I've since bought another sealey wrench that covers 27-108nm, that was also £30 IIRC, and is also top quality.

Much better than these allegedly cycling specific ones imho.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18