Orbea bikes

dmitch1987
dmitch1987 Posts: 22
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Have been looking at the avant. A bit sceptical as have never heard of them until recently.

Anyone with any experience with these?

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/orbea-avant-m30se-2015-special-edition/orbea-road-bikes/bikes-components-bikewear/fcp-product/62157

Trying one out this weekend for fit etc.

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Spanish company, the now defunct euskatel euskadi pro team used to ride the orca model. I have not ridden one so can't tell you out, says the frame has lifetime warranty, you need to check what their definition of lifetime is though.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    No need to be skeptical. Long standing Spanish bike company that is owned by their workers. One of their bikes was underneath Samuel Sanchez when he won the Beijing Olympic road race.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Few of the club guys ride or have ridden them and speak well of them
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    I have the model year that Sammy Sanchez won the Olympic Road race on and I like it but I can't speak for any of the other models. The only negative comment I can make is that the paint job is not great. It looks like the frame had dust on it in places before the clear coat was applied and the solid colour parts chip easily. Maybe they did it especially thin to save weight.

I did have to get the steerer tube repaired and it was a bit of a long process but that was mainly due to bike shops in this country. Once the fork hand been sent to Orbea they fixed it very quickly.

I read they are one of the oldest running bike companies now.
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    Few of the club guys ride or have ridden them and speak well of them

Who doesn't speak well of their own bike on the club run :roll:
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    very true, but at least one guy went and bought a replacement when he crashed his.

I've cursed most of my bikes mind and sworn never to buy another Giant only to go and make my CX a Giant
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    A lot of people ride them round my way due to the LBS having a plentiful supply of them. I'm on my 2nd Orca now, brilliant bike IMO and lifetime warranty as mentioned earlier. Only replaced the first one as I had the option to upgrade to Di2 for a silly price, otherwise would still be riding that one!
  • Langlais
    Langlais Posts: 21
    I have three Orbea road bikes (a 2014 Orca B M50, carbon fibre frame & forks, and two 2012 Aquas, alloy frame, carbon forks) and am happy with them. Good build quality, good paint job on the frame, frame geometry seems well thought out and the bikes handle well overall. The stock wheels and finishing kits are heavy but that's typical at this price point, and upgrades are part of the fun... Many other brands up there but don't rule Orbea out.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Can you still get them in euskatel euskadi colours? That was such a pretty bike....
  • dmitch1987
    dmitch1987 Posts: 22
    Cheers all. Fitted perfectly just need to sort out my cycle to work form and she shall be mine.

Going to have to ask the wife for some wheels for Christmas I think.