Harrogate to Chesterfield??

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited July 2015 in Tour & expedition
pppp

Comments

• CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    A good 75 mile + ride, ride into Leeds (it's not too bad), then head for S72 9EJ (Brierley area)
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I'm not sure that going west of Sheffield is that good an idea - I haven't lived there for a very long time but a quick look at the terrain view in Google maps seems to confirm my memory that the main roads through the Peak District go West-East (or visa-versa depending on how you look at it). Going north-south looks like it might be a bit tricky unless you swing quite a long way west.

I think that going east of Sheffield would be the better plan.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    From Hope you can head down towards Matlock, going through the Chatsworth Estate. You can turn left at a few places just before joining, or within a couple of miles of joining the A6, but beware the left turn at Darley Dale - it goes up a long, steep hill (10-20% for around a mile and still climbs after that) but it does take you just south of Chesterfield.

The route down from Hope isn't actually that hilly, it's more rolling as you're in the valley. It's when you want to get out of the valley the legs are going to burn!
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    edited July 2017
    pppp
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    From Hope you can head down towards Matlock, going through the Chatsworth Estate. You can turn left at a few places just before joining, or within a couple of miles of joining the A6, but beware the left turn at Darley Dale - it goes up a long, steep hill (10-20% for around a mile and still climbs after that) but it does take you just south of Chesterfield.

The route down from Hope isn't actually that hilly, it's more rolling as you're in the valley. It's when you want to get out of the valley the legs are going to burn!

Yes, I've had the "pleasure" of the hairpin road from Rowsley east. Does kind of sit at the back of your mind all ride knowing that's coming up! I should be able to sneak out that way later in the week though so I suppose it would be better to stay further east all the way down.

Thanks for all the comments so far. It's particularly the bit up north from Harrogate down I'm really not sure about.

I rode from Sheffield to Tadcaster and back recently. It's much flatter if you go to the east of Wakefield via Pontefract etc, and you can stay east of Rotherham and cut across to Chesterfield from there. Quiet roads in the main too.

Not too far from Harrogate to Tadcaster either.
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    If its not too late, from memory, I think you can do a flat route or a hilly route.

Flat route. Harrogate, Garforth, Pontefract, Goldthorpe, Conisborough, Maltby,Balborough, Chesterfield

Hilly route Harrogate, Pool, Otley, Bingley, Queensbury, Brighouse, Holmfirth, Langsett, Midhopestones, Bamford (via Strines),Baslow, Chesterfield.

You can join the dots yourself. If you do do the hilly route, you must go through Queensbury, spectacular scenery in all directions.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016