Getting back on after car knocked me off.

1964johnr
1964johnr Posts: 179
edited June 2015 in Road general
Eight years of weekend road cycling, three ofs previously with no cars involved, but this time a car decided to pull in to a parking space from stationary traffic as I was going up ther inside at 20mph. No time to take avoiding tactics. Car turned in to my front wheel, I was catapulted forward in front of the car and in to the middle of the road. A load of nice people stopped and made sure I was okay. Road rash all down one side of my body, but that's all so I consider myself lucky. Saddle on the bike has a rip, but no other damage to bike. It was no problem getting back on the bike after my first three offs, but this time i'm feeling nervous about next weekends ride. I know why, it's because a car was involved. Anyone got any tips to aslm the nerves?

Comments

• dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Don't fly down the inside of stationary traffic at 20mph?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    Don't fly down the inside of stationary traffic at 20mph?
    That's a bit of a harsh opener, but there is a ring of truth to it.

There are positions you just don't want to put yourself in, because there's no sense in being right but dead. That's one of them. Even if a driver should in theory check on their inside, they often don't. Besides, when you filter, you are sure to be appearing from someone's blind spot.

Even if there is a cycle lane, you have to guard against cars pulling in and dropping people off, or for passengers simply deciding to get out. Filtering is very much something to be done carefully, covering the brakes. At least you aren't too badly hurt.

Best advice for you is start out somewhere other than in city traffic. Go somewhere nice at the weekend in the first instance.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    Glad you're getting back on the bike. I don't like riding down the left of stationary traffic even if there is a cycle lane. Years of riding a motorbike have taught me to filter on the right and I tend to do this on a bicycle as well. Saying that there are times when you can be doing everything right and somebody does something so stupid and unpredictable there is nothing that there is nothing you could have done about it. But a piano could fall on your head whilst you're walking down the road so there's no point worrying about it.
    Just take it easy and be extra cautious around traffic, with time you'll worry less. Pick a quiet route with less traffic if you can, if it's a busy area are there any cycle paths off the road you can take? Beyond that just be extra vigilant.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    Rationalise the collision and ask yourself what you would do differently to avoid the situation?

Once you've established the reasons for the collision you should be in a better place mentally as you have understood why the incident occurred.

Fear is usually driven by the unknown and not fully understanding the decisions and detail which led to the event.

Personally I wouldn't cycle at that speed up the inside of slow moving or heavy traffic. The view of the driver using their mirrors is poor due to cars behind and the blind spot from the rear view and side mirrors while moving at that speed you'll be along side them after that have glanced away and started to move into the space.

The outside has it's own issues with oncoming traffic and less scope for a fall and walking away.

This leaves the inside, ride aware and look for tell tale signs, drivers heads and front wheels are a sure indicator of drivers thinking of moving and a slower pace provides more time to react.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Taking a cycling proficiency test, read the Highway Code?

Just take it steady.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • 1964johnr
    1964johnr Posts: 179
    Thanks for the replies. I guess it was not a sensible thing to do, riding at 20mph down the inside of stationary traffic. I was coming over the river Thames by Hampton Court on the olympic road race route. I have noticed that half the bikes go up on the outside of the traffic and the other half use the inside. There is no cycling lane so I guess technically you should be on the outside for overtaking. I know as a car driver as well, you don't always see bikes ,even if you look in the mirrors I will learn from that and take it steady in the future.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Rationalise the collision and ask yourself what you would do differently to avoid the situation?

Once you've established the reasons for the collision you should be in a better place mentally as you have understood why the incident occurred.

Fear is usually driven by the unknown and not fully understanding the decisions and detail which led to the event.

Personally I wouldn't cycle at that speed up the inside of slow moving or heavy traffic. The view of the driver using their mirrors is poor due to cars behind and the blind spot from the rear view and side mirrors while moving at that speed you'll be along side them after that have glanced away and started to move into the space.

The outside has it's own issues with oncoming traffic and less scope for a fall and walking away.

This leaves the inside, ride aware and look for tell tale signs, drivers heads and front wheels are a sure indicator of drivers thinking of moving and a slower pace provides more time to react.
    It also leaves the option of stopping and waiting until it is safe to complete a manoeuvre.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    Thanks for the replies. I guess it was not a sensible thing to do, riding at 20mph down the inside of stationary traffic. I was coming over the river Thames by Hampton Court on the olympic road race route. I have noticed that half the bikes go up on the outside of the traffic and the other half use the inside. There is no cycling lane so I guess technically you should be on the outside for overtaking. I know as a car driver as well, you don't always see bikes ,even if you look in the mirrors I will learn from that and take it steady in the future.
    There's nothing to say that you can't filter on the inside - other than the motorway, there's no such thing as "undertaking" I don't think. But, again, when you are doing it, you might not be seen so you have to be cautious.

I don't personally agree that you should always filter on the right. It can indeed be safer, but each situation is different. A bend in the road can mean that traffic queues almost on the white line and leaves a large gap on the left. In that case, I'd prefer filtering on the left to crossing into the other lane to pass on the right.

Whatever you are comfortable with really.