First time marshalling

Mikeb93
Mikeb93 Posts: 16
edited July 2015 in MTB general
As the title says I am marshallinga mtb race for the first time in a few weeks, I was wondering if anyone had some advice they could give me from their own experiences, what does the club expect from me? What do the riders expect from me? What tasks are usually involved etc etc

Comments

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Should depend where you are on the route. If its like motorsport marshalling you get setup with an experienced Marshall, straights or easy sections are usually quiet, corners can be fun.

Found this guide which may be of use

http://www.midweekmtbmadness.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Organiser_MTB_Marshal_Guide.pdf
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Stand around, stop numb nuts spectators crowding the course, replace tape if it gets broken. If its a DH race, maybe blow a whistle as riders approach your section. Generally try and get a good spot and take some pics!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    It really depends on who you are marshalling for, where you are marshalling and of course what kind of race it is. Some just ask you to stand there and look official, some need you to keep an eye on a whole section meaning you are always moving, some put you right out in the middle of no where with no phone or radio signal so you're pretty alone. Really be prepared for anything. At the same race I was on the side of a hill with driving snow and hail in sub zero temperatures while other marshals were in glorious sunshine and were quite warm.

Your responsibilities change too. Usually the more experienced are given the harder jobs like track crossings or start/finish marshals but not always. Really the best thing I can suggest is to make sure you are absolutely clear on what the organisers expect from you on the day. If you don't feel you are able to do what they are asking tell them. If you can't do something but don't tell anyone you could potentially be putting people in danger.

Riders usually expect you to do your job properly and sometimes more. Occasionally you will get the odd arse expecting the world on a stick but usually riders are nice enough. In fact some can be really quite cheery, just what is needed when the weather is foul. If a rider asks you a question and you don't know the answer, be honest and tell them you don't know. Usually a quick radio call will get the correct answer from the correct person.

Take plenty of food and water with you. The provided lunch's are usually not too big and it can disappear quite quickly. Also take more clothing than you think you will need if the weather is bad. I always take spare gloves and a spare jacket with me.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Don't let lardy middle aged women walk across in front of a road gap as a rider is sprinting his lungs out in to it leaving him no choice but to jump in to the bushes off the track and ruin his all or nothing race run and wreck a new helmet.
    Sorry, bad experience there. Be alert, keep your eyes open, keep your ears open. Pay attention at your briefing in the morning. Keep your flags within reach. Have fun and don't be afraid to shout encouragement or good natured abuse!
  • Mikeb93
    Mikeb93 Posts: 16
    Thanks for the advice guys. The race I will be marshalling is the national championships at Hadleigh Park so it should be a great day of racing and I'm looking forward to it. Let's hope the spectators have some common sense and don't get in the way of the race. Fingers crossed we have some dry weather. And just to let you know if anyone is interested Hadleigh Mtb Club still need a few more volunteers to Marshall Saturday or Sunday 18th/19th July. Find them on Facebook for further information.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    How much are they paying marshals?