Helmet cracked 1st big crash.

terry2708
terry2708 Posts: 92
edited July 2015 in Road general
Just felt like telling the world about my massive "off" in the tour de Essex last week and the fact my Kask Mojito saved me from a massive head injury.
We were going a good clip and had covered the first 33 miles in just over 90 minutes when we approached a slight change in road surface and a right bend. As we approached it I think a bit of gravel caught under my front wheel and (it was a bit downhill) at 25mph the front wheel disappeared! My head hit the ground first followed by my body and the world went upside down. Road rash everywhere my small finger nail in bits and when I looked at my 2 month old helmet noticed it had completely cracked at the front temple area.
Fortunately my bike suffered limited damage with only the bar tape destroyed as I gave the bike a nice ride along the ground.
I have always thought that I wouldn't hit me head like that but wear a helmet "just in case". Glad I did and don't wish to force my views on anyone BUT if I hadn't had one on I may not be able to write this.

8 days on and the injuries are clearing up, back on the bike by Wednesday!!

Comments

• Glad you're ok, thats the main thing.

Thread is useless without pics though.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,617
    4711277.jpg :shock:

Sounds pants, really does, but at least you are able to get back to it without a long lay off.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,617
    I did know that David Baddiel was into BMX.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Glad the bike's ok. I mean, glad you're not too badly hurt. Heal fast.
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    ***MUST CONTROL....URGE TO...PLAY..DEVILS...ADVOCATE*****
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    You do know that Kask offer a helmet crash replacement service? You can buy a replacement at 50% of the RRP, or put the money towards an even better Kask helmet!
    You need to contact the UK distributors (Velobrands) and deal direct with them. They're very helpful and offer a speedy service as I discovered in April.

Glad to hear you are OK though!
  • Question - was it in sky colours / were you in sky team kit?

It may have been divine intervention.
  • moyesie
    moyesie Posts: 68
    Can vouch for the effectiveness of a Kask helmet, hit the deck tonight whilst racing and thankfully the lid did it's job.

Certainly not an advocate of wearing a helmet for 'everyday' riding but in a situation where the speeds are rising and there is an increased risk they get my vote.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    This is a reply only on the basis that KASK helmets actually one of the brands that fit me properly.
    The Mojito in summer and a heavier lumpier k10 in winter can fit woolly hat under.. also in Sky colours to keep brand awareness on a CaaD.
    Last I race crashed and wrote off a SWorks in OPQS colours to raise brand awareness... I think I still had a bit of concussion but hey 18 months later I am still able to write this sh ite.
    The Mojito gets the vote.
  • terry2708
    Question - was it in sky colours / were you in sky team kit?

It may have been divine intervention.
    No it was a white and blue one!

I have juicy pics but they are too big for here.
  • terry2708
    You do know that Kask offer a helmet crash replacement service? You can buy a replacement at 50% of the RRP, or put the money towards an even better Kask helmet!
    You need to contact the UK distributors (Velobrands) and deal direct with them. They're very helpful and offer a speedy service as I discovered in April.

Glad to hear you are OK though!

Yes I know about that and they are giving 50% off rrp and a £5 charge so will get a new one for £65, absolute bargain in my eyes!
  • terry2708
    Glad you're ok, thats the main thing.

Thread is useless without pics though.

Just for you.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    Going by these photos.......
    I would blame Wiggle.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.