Couple of drivechain questions from a relative noob

mattyfez
mattyfez Posts: 638
edited July 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey all,

I've had my carrera vengeance for nigh on a year now and put some miles on it, loving the bike but it seems all the cheap parts are failing in unison..

Recently replaced my cheap bottom bracket with a marginally better one without too much hassle but I have a few more issues I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on.

A) I've replaced my OEM 8 speed chain (a kmc z)with a 9 speed chain, (my mistake) a kmc x-93, seems to work ok and and I'm fairly sure I've got the legnth right etc..I've read that you can use 9 speed chains on 8 speed cassettes, any opinions on this? this leads to my next question

B) My rear hub appears to be shot as there is lateral play in the wheel, not a massive amount but enough to suggest to me it's nigh on busted, the bike feels less wobbly since sorting the BB out, but still feels sketchy, so that is on the replacement list,

C) At the same time, my new 9x chain is skipping a bit, but only in certain well used cogs, changing gear seems fine, but on certain coggs it clatters quite a lot, causing my feet to jump/skip forward on the pedals...bearing (no pun intended) in mind it's a 9 speed chain on an 8 speed cassette - I'm thinking the cassette may need to be replaced, it looks ok to my untrained eye, and could do with some further fine tuning, I've adjusted it a bit but possibly not 100% since fitting the new chain. But my chain was proper shot, so I'm thinking new cassette may well be on the cards.

D) When having a fiddle with the chain off, the jockey wheel closest to the mech has loads of play in it, I've read some play is normal, however, I can probably move it 5-7mm in each direction, 10-13mm overall lateral play, and it feels like it's not sat properly when moving it, like it's popping in and out of it's correct position.

So my shopping list at the moment is:

New bearing for rear hub - definitely needed

new cassette? I was thinking a SRAM as the rear mech is a SRAM x4 http://www.halfords.com/cycling/parts/gears-drivetrain-cables/sram-pg-850-8-speed-cassette-11-32

New rear derailer as the x4 is s**t and may as well replace it than fit new jockey wheels?

Maybe I'm better off just buying a new 'group set' i.e crank, derailers front and rear, and cassette?

The crank/pedal side of things seem ok, for now, so thinking I may just replace the suspect parts only, although it may work out cheaper in the long run to just repace the entire drive chain??

Sorry for the essay, and thanks for any advice :D

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The hub might just need serviceing. It depends on who bad you have let it go.

New hub. Don't bother if you have to get a new wheel.

Cassette need to match the number of gears you have can be any make but not Campy. As that will not fit.

Chain should really be the same speed as well but the only difference is in width. All chains are at a 1/2" pitch or a combination of. ( there are some really old bikes with 1" pitch).

So service time and see what you actually need.

Info and how to links in my sig.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mattyfez
    The hub might just need serviceing. It depends on who bad you have let it go.

New hub. Don't bother if you have to get a new wheel.

Cassette need to match the number of gears you have can be any make but not Campy. As that will not fit.

Chain should really be the same speed as well but the only difference is in width. All chains are at a 1/2" pitch or a combination of. ( there are some really old bikes with 1" pitch).

So service time and see what you actually need.

Info and how to links in my sig.

Thanks, and sorry, I'm a noob a bike parts, quite handy with cars though... I've no reason to suspect the hub is bust, I meant to say the hub bearing/cartridge.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No cartridge in those wheels, cup and cone, so just like rebuilding an old Mini front hub bearings (those were the days) strip down, clean up, inspect races and balls, reassemble with fresh grease and set the bearing preload.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattyfez
    Thanks for the tips, I managed to strip the rear bearings out, they looked in reasonable shape so I cleaned everything and repacked with fresh grease, and fitted a new pg850 cassette, bar some fine tuning it runs 1000% better, no rear wheel play, and no chain skip! The original cassette didn't look to bad to my untrained eye, but what a difference!

IMAG0128_zpsi98situd.jpg