Scott Genius 40 (2012)?

james22b2
james22b2 Posts: 132
edited June 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi
I have been offered a recently serviced Scott Genius 40 (2012) for about 700 pounds. I am riding trails and tougher terrain, want to do more of this, and moderate DH, but also need to pedal up a lot of hills - is it a suitable bike and is it OK for the price? I like the look of the remote lock for the suspension but have never tried one out.
Finally it is "only" a 26" - is that likely to be a problem? I have been riding a fold-up with 20" wheels for a while now, so have lost some sense of proportion..
Thanks in advance,

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited June 2015
    Who can say - depends on condition. It's not a DH bike though, even moderate.

The only thing that would put me off totally is the proprietary pull shock.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • james22b2
    Who can say - depends on condition. It's not a DH bike though, even moderate.

Thanks - what would you say it is most suited to?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depends on which of the various Genius 40's it is, but most of them are a trail/all mountain bike so suitable for all day rides with some moderately aggressive downhill (not Downhill) riding.

The shock is made by DT Swiss and pretty reliable, but if they fail it's either expensive or you write the frame off.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    We spent ages once having blonde moments trying to set up a cute brunette's bike on the trail (looked like she had about 99% sag) until we worked out that it was a pull shock.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    I'm trying to figure out if it took ages because you were a bit dumb, or because you were using any excuse to keep chatting to a cute blonde! See last link in my sig.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • james22b2
    Depends on which of the various Genius 40's it is, but most of them are a trail/all mountain bike so suitable for all day rides with some moderately aggressive downhill (not Downhill) riding.

The shock is made by DT Swiss and pretty reliable, but if they fail it's either expensive or you write the frame off.

Thanks.
    How often do you typically have to service and/or change a shock?
    Also, is remote shock lockout useful?
  • cooldad
    I'm trying to figure out if it took ages because you were a bit dumb, or because you were using any excuse to keep chatting to a cute blonde! See last link in my sig.
    She was a cute brunette. Do try and keep up.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    She was a cute brunette. Do try and keep up.
    Argh yes, it was the Blonde moments bit that fooled me, you avoiding answering the question though......

A lockout isnt that useful on these if the shock is setup properly as it's not bob prone.

Service about every 6 months if you ride weekly and you should be fine (as long as you keep up the ride by ride cleaning).