Ksyrium Elite Freehub

ic.
ic. Posts: 769
edited July 2015 in Workshop
Bit of a worrying moment a fair few miles from home the other night when the freehub wouldn't engage on my 2013 Ksyrium Elite. Pedals going round, nothing going on at the rear, pawls not catching. Could have been a long walk. It engaged again all by itself a few hundred metres later.

Got home and stripped it down. This is what I found:

hub1.jpg
hub2.jpg

Thick crusted black stuff. Really difficult to clean off. Managed to scrub it all clean, apply a bit of lube and re-assemble. All is well now and running very nicely

Question is, given that I believe the cassette to have been fitted correctly etc, with no play in anything, how on earth could the above have happened after only about 4000 miles. I've never seen a freehub look like that before. I've never had this one apart before either.

Any ideas?
2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
Boardman CX Team - sold
Cannondale Synapse - broken
Cube Streamer - stolen
Boardman Road Comp - stolen

Comments

• mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    I've pulled a few of them apart during services and seen similar, but not quite that bad. Provided you've cleaned all of it out, and paid particular attention to both where the pawls attach to the freehub and the springs you should be fine.

I tend to relube them with a very light mineral oil, and make sure a little goes on the nylon washer that presses against the rubber seal to reduce the chance of Mavic DeathWail.

Mavic freehubs do need a little bit of regular cleaning and TLC, they aren't the best sealed units out there.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Thanks for the info.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    You are supposed to service the freehub every 1000 miles or so.

A quick strip down, clean and re-lube doesn't take that long.