Newbie Advice - Forks - was Groupsets

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited June 2015 in MTB beginners
As a strict roadie who is looking at an off road HT type bike, I just want to know a list of Group set levels.

ie on a road bike.

2300 shinamo is at the bottom - Dura Ace at the top.

What is the shimano and Sram list of group sets?

I assume Sram X3 is a level bellow X4 and so on.. and that XT is at the higher end of Shimano - but a list of both would be great and then i can take it from there.

Cheers

Now that the groupset has been looked at talk to me about forks - I have no idea.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Not sure if it's 100% up-to-date, but this seems pretty accurate to me.

http://www.mtbtreks.com/beginners-guide-to-mountain-bike-groupsets/
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    SRAM bigger number is better (X0 is best)
    Shimano - Tourney, Acera, Alivio, Deore, SLX (used to be LX), XT, XTR. Zee and Saint are downhill/harder riding specific, Zee is roughly SLX, Saint XTR, but it's not quite that simple.

Think of Deore=X5 and XT=X9 to compare SRAM to Shimano
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rubertoe
    Cheers Chaps.

So i'll be looking for deore + and x5 + bikes.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Concentrate more on the fork. Deore bits upwards are all excellent, but cheap forks tend to be dire.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rubertoe
    SO now the Grouset has been answered

WHat should i be looking at in a fork. baring in mind that this will be trails, tow paths, road and places where i can take 3 children aged 3, 4 and 6....

• rubertoe
    Should i just buy a Krakken or a Btwin rockrider and get on with it?

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    The new 560 RR is on at £400 (£100 off atm) and is some bike for the money.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fork wise, as a minimum must have hydraulic damping for any vaguely serious offroad use, after that you go from cartridge damper to a proper wet one, and then through various combinations of adjustment, alloy stanchions are lighter than steel (usually chrome or black) and an air spring is lighter than a coil (and for most uses is a better spring medium).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.