Campagnolo Veloce shifters. 1.5 years old. done

gilmo789
gilmo789 Posts: 27
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
*Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I bought a pair of barely used Veloce shifters around March last year. The have seen intermittent use maybe 5-6000 miles. Both are now unusable.

N.B. I should point out that they were being used in a Shimergo setup. This contributed to the failure of the left lever as the spring on the Shimano derailleur was much to strong, It was very difficult to shift. However, the spring tension in the rear is not strong enough to have caused the resultant failure of the right one, shifting was easy and I never felt I was putting undue stress on the part.

Left (front) failed early. The cable nipple was pulled through the plastic housing in the shifter.
This wasn't a huge problem. I just used a DT shifter for the front. (Quite a nice setup I found)

The right (rear) bit the dust on Saturday past. The fixed part of the ratchet just went as I was cycling, I wasn't even shifting (teeth on the rotating ring seem fine). There is now no control over shifting.

I now have two expensive, heavy brake levers. I will accept the failure of the left as my fault but the right I can only attribute to weak componentry. I am a little disappointed in the quality of these things, I have some ancient 7 speed Shimano shifters that still work fine and the 5700 stuff on a friend's bike seems to be of far superior quality.

Is this typical?
Are these just really poor levers?
Any Shimergo/Veloce users experience the same thing?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    Shimergo user here.

The older (per ultra/power shift) shifters were really good quality and if you go back to Veloce 9 speed (early noughties), those were outstandingly good shifters with no plastic in the mechanisms. The more recent lower series (Veloce to Athena) are virtually disposable and the inner mechanisms use a lot of plastic to cut costs and weight.
    I am not surprised that they failed in a non ideal setup... they are not very good shifters. My advice, if you want to stick to Shimergo, is to go for older shifters... basically Mach 2 ones Veloce 9 or Chorus-Record 10... those are the best incarnation Campagnolo did. make sue you stay this side of the cable pull, as they did change it sometime around 2000 and the older will screw up your current set up.
    left the forum March 2023
  • gilmo789
    gilmo789 Posts: 27
    That's good, I just bought some old chorus 10s off a well known auctions site! hopefully they will fare better!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    That's good, I just bought some old chorus 10s off a well known auctions site! hopefully they will fare better!

Yes, Chorus 10 was the pinnacle, so as good as it gets
    left the forum March 2023