Removing a rear wheel with 135mm QR?

odessouky
odessouky Posts: 264
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
Anyone can tell me how to remove my rear wheel?
It's a giant anthem 27.5 with 135mm QR.
I tried pulling the lever like on my road bike, but it doesn't release?
Just pops out, rotates and pops back?
Thanks

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    you need to do more than just flick the lever open - they may be quick release, but not THAT quick!

Open the lever, hold one side and spin the other anti-clockwise a half dozen or more turns to release it enough to clear the dropouts.

Rear wheel, you will also need to push the chain out of the way and possible the gears too.
  • odessouky
    you need to do more than just flick the lever open - they may be quick release, but not THAT quick!

Open the lever, hold one side and spin the other anti-clockwise a half dozen or more turns to release it enough to clear the dropouts.

Rear wheel, you will also need to push the chain out of the way and possible the gears too.

The lever is not opening?

I'm afraid to pull it hard as it's not opening like a regular QR?
  • odessouky
    Here's how it looks

E01A3DAA-A39C-4D1E-A547-3382D39BAB80.jpg

Can only pull it out half an inch, then it pops back, but can't open the lever?

F4A43C61-5DC8-4062-81A7-0C26E2582F65.jpg
  • apreading
    Ah - I think they may use DT Swiss Skewers like this one now: http://www.mcconveycycles.com/store/product/20077/Giant-Quick-Release-Skewer/

if so, then you just unscrew it as is, and if it cant unscrew any further, lift the lever away from the wheel and turn it back the other way, then let it pop back in and unscrew it some more. They are really good skewers actually - allow you to do it up tighter than a normal quick release.
  • apreading
    Yeah - can see your pictures now - just unscrew without pulling it out at all.
  • odessouky
    Yeah - can see your pictures now - just unscrew without pulling it out at all.

Thanks for your help...

Managed to do it...

Took me a good 1/2 an hour and a dozen tries to put the wheel back on though...not easy with the derailer and disc breaks...

:)