Cyclocross/Road Bike Advice

Tavish85
Tavish85 Posts: 36
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Not sure which forum is best to discuss about these bikes but I have been advised that they may be the best option for me to buy.

I have seen this one http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/threshold-a2-2015-cyclocross-bike-ec072588#features but no idea if it's any good.

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The Norco is 'any good' - although 'any good' is purely subjective, as with any bike. Some idea of budget and riding type would help...
  • Tavish85
    Tavish85 Posts: 36
    The Norco is 'any good' - although 'any good' is purely subjective, as with any bike. Some idea of budget and riding type would help...

I am looking at getting one on the CTW scheme so ideally no more than £700.

I currently use my MTB to commute which is 5 miles but on the way home I tend to go for a longer ride about 11 miles. I can do the whole journey either road, off road or a mixture of both.

I just want a all round type of bike but one that will allow me to put in a good 30-40 mile ride when my body can take it.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078

I am looking at getting one on the CTW scheme so ideally no more than £700.

I currently use my MTB to commute which is 5 miles but on the way home I tend to go for a longer ride about 11 miles. I can do the whole journey either road, off road or a mixture of both.

I just want a all round type of bike but one that will allow me to put in a good 30-40 mile ride when my body can take it.

A cyclocrosser is a good choice for what you have in mind, and at a glance that one looks pretty good. Try it for size in a shop, if you can
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    The Spec looks ok, I've never ridden a Norco Road or Cross Bike but their MTB's are generaly good bikes.
    It will likely be fairly heavy though, weight is relative I guess. More guessing, but the wheels I imagine will be fairly low spec and heavy.
    The brakes are similar to what came with my Cross Bike, I replaced mine, you might find them ok, personally I didn't. Upgrade cost me approx £160.
    Also the tyres, I found them pretty good on road, probably the fastest Cross Tyre I used for road use. However I found them to be no good for wet off road use. Rubbish in the mud and scary rubbish on wet grass. They seem to be made as an all rounder tyre but with the focus being on road use, they seemed to be like paper so I experienced lots of punctures. (Obviously this is a minor upgrade if you thought necessary)
    If all you plan on doing is commuting/weekend end rides, then for £580 it looks a good shout. For your use the weight wouldn't really put me off, but I'd go and have a look. I'd want to see / test the Norco along with something more established in the Cross market, maybe a CAADX, more expensive but will give you a decent comparison.
  • Have just ordered the women's specific Threshold A1 Forma for my wife - picking it up on Thursday. She test rode one at Evans in Cardiff a few months and fell in love with it (it's her favourite colour too). It was full price then and she didn't think she could justify it but when I saw it reduced to £805 we went for it. I think they are lovely bikes, very attractive 'in the flesh' (pics don't do them justice), really nice attention to detail in the frame design and very good value, especially now that they're reduced at Evans.

The Hayes disc brakes seem to be the only obvious cost saving measure in the spec but I think they will do fine anyway.

We were looking at the Planet X London Road (which I have myself) for her, but the small is probably a shade too large to be ideal for her. Depending on your budget , you'd do well to look at these as they are ideal for your purposes.