De Rosa or Cervelo or Focus - pls help me choose

s@intsteve
s@intsteve Posts: 90
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I'm after the collective opinions on my next purchase. I can't decide between the following 3 bikes:

De Rosa 888 Superking (ultegra)
Cervelo R3 (ultegra)
Focus Cayo 1.0 (dura ace)

All 3 are in my price range and my lbs has offered me a great deal on them all which is making it harder to decide. I love the looks of the De Rosa in the Fluro paint job, the spec on the Focus is amazing for the money and weighs in at 6.9kg, the Cervelo is a great all rounder for my needs and is the best priced of the 3.

Has anyone got any experience of either bikes that could help me make an informed choice? I will be using the bike for long distance rides and hill climbing but not racing.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Have got an 888, awesome bike, great for big miles as well.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Buy the one you like the look of. A bike's a bike. As long as it fits well.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • KheSanh
    KheSanh Posts: 62
    Have you had an independent bike fit done? If not maybe another thing to consider is to get one done and go through the frame geometries with the fitter and then when you get the bike he can also fit you and the new bike.

I'd also try and get a decent set of wheels swapped over when buying a new bike if you can, makes a considerable difference and then your bike is a little bespoke as well. So that may sway your preference as well if you see what each seller will do for you.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    If I were going to spunk that much money, I'd want to ride each bike and then make my own opinion. Saying that, my personal choice would be the Cayo, as De Rosa annoy me by selling Chinese open mould-frames for silly inflated prices and the R3 bores me to death. I'd also see if you could get a good deal on an Izalco Max 5.0.
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Hi all,

I'm after the collective opinions on my next purchase. I can't decide between the following 3 bikes:

Cervelo R3 (ultegra)

All 3 are in my price range and my lbs has offered me a great deal on them all which is making it harder to decide. I love the looks of the De Rosa in the Fluro paint job, the spec on the Focus is amazing for the money and weighs in at 6.9kg, the Cervelo is a great all rounder for my needs and is the best priced of the 3.

Has anyone got any experience of either bikes that could help me make an informed choice? I will be using the bike for long distance rides and hill climbing but not racing.

Thanks in advance!

Slightly left field ....

Forget the Cervelo R3 and go with the R2 for a grand less ... It's exactly the same frame but with new 105 (not far removed from Ultegra). This leaves plenty of dosh for nice wheels etc.

There's a Cervelo R2 further down this page if you want a nosey.
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Duplicate post
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Hi all,

Cervelo R3 (ultegra)

Thanks in advance!

Slightly left field ....

Forget the Cervelo R3 and go with the R2 for a grand less ... It's exactly the same frame but with new 105 (not far removed from Ultegra). This leaves plenty of dosh for nice wheels etc.

There's a Cervelo R2 further down this page if you want a nosey.

This. I ride an R5, two friends ride R3's, they are great frames and the difference between 105/ultegra/et al now is fairly minimal
  • s@intsteve
    s@intsteve Posts: 90
    Thanks for all your responses. The deal on the cervelo really is too good to turn down, its a 2014 model and my lbs is selling the last bike in stock with a £750 reduction. That's enough discount to get a really nice set of wheels as well for my £3k budget. I think I've just made up my mind! Cheers all.