Speedplay cleats

moefoemil
moefoemil Posts: 254
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I've recently got a set of Speedplay zero pedals with the V2 cleats, even though the cleats were second hand and worn in I still found them quite stiff to clip in and release, I read somewhere on the net that if you stretched the cleat spring a little bit with pliers it made it easier. Like an idiot I tried this, it worked on one cleat but I've managed to snap the other cleat spring :oops: . So, I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere that sold cleat spares or will I have to buy a new set? If anyone can tell me of anywhere or let me know of where I can get a old cleat it would be GREATLY appreciated!

Many thanks. Gareth
Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day

Comments

• dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Drop me a p.m, I might have a spare set of v2 cleats you can buy.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Hi,
    I've recently got a set of Speedplay zero pedals with the V2 cleats, even though the cleats were second hand and worn in I still found them quite stiff to clip in and release, I read somewhere on the net that if you stretched the cleat spring a little bit with pliers it made it easier. Like an idiot I tried this, it worked on one cleat but I've managed to snap the other cleat spring :oops: . So, I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere that sold cleat spares or will I have to buy a new set? If anyone can tell me of anywhere or let me know of where I can get a old cleat it would be GREATLY appreciated!

Many thanks. Gareth
    Seriously, just persevere.... it only takes a few "unclips" and they become easy peasy!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,555
    ^^^this

other possible causes - tightening the screws too much or using the wrong shims for the sole, this causes the cleat to deform and impede clipping in/out

what you don't do is mess with the spring, if you bend/modify it you may increase the chance of accidental unclipping which can be very dangerous
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • moefoemil
    moefoemil Posts: 254
    Thanks for the advice!
    I think one of the main problems is I'm pretty light weight and the clipping in method is new to me and probably just takes a bit of getting used to.
    Hopefully I can find somewhere/someone who does cleat spares or sells odd cleats.
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,555
    tbh as one spring is bent and the other broken i'd just get new cleats

throw away the bent/broken springs and keep the rest as spares, touch wood i've never had a spring break, but the cleat bodies and plates can get damaged/worn, so chances are that in future you can use the 'new' springs to rebuild the current cleats
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Thanks for the advice!
    I think one of the main problems is I'm pretty light weight and the clipping in method is new to me and probably just takes a bit of getting used to.

I only weigh 58kg and clipping into my Zeros is easy. When new, the cleats can be a bit stiff, but will break-in quite quicky with use. As already said, installation of the cleats using the correct shims and avoiding overtightening of the small screws is paramount. A dab of dry lube on the cleat springs and metal bow-ties on the pedal bodies also helps at the start too.
  • What spring are we talking about here? There aren't any springs on SP Zero's are there?
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Don't bend them.

They get easier to clip in and out after a short while. If the bolts holding the metal plate on are tight then this makes it harder to clip in and out. Keep them clean and put a few drops of oil on the spring area to keep them moving freely and prevent them breaking too soon. I get about 4 years out of one.

But I have still broken two springs through use. Both breakages were at very inconvenient times: the day before a sportive and the first ride on a cycling holiday. I always have a spare pair as backup now and I take them with me when taking the bike on holiday or traveling. The springs are symmetrical so if you break one you can use the other spring as a spare for either cleat.
  • DKay
    What spring are we talking about here? There aren't any springs on SP Zero's are there?

We're referring to the dark-coloured metal C-shaped springs in the cleats.
  • Ok, thought so... I thought I was missing something LOL

I've got three pairs of Zero's and there's not a true "spring", to be seen anywhere. A big part of their marketing spiel is based on them having "un-sprung float".

Dunno what I'd call the thing really.....some kind of captive circlip?
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Ok, thought so... I thought I was missing something LOL

I've got three pairs of Zero's and there's not a true "spring", to be seen anywhere. A big part of their marketing spiel is based on them having "un-sprung float".

I class it as a spring. But not the common coil spring. A leaf spring is not a coil spring either but it returns to its original shape as long as it does not bend past its yield point. It does not effect the float because it is only used to hold the cleat onto the pedal. I call it the retention spring.
  • DKay
    Ok, thought so... I thought I was missing something LOL

Springs can be in many other forms, other than just the coiled compression type which most people associate with the word. As already said, leaf springs are an alternative, as are tension bars, torsion bars, belleville springs, constant force springs and even air.
  • Springs it is then! :D