Cleats for spinning

bikeit65
bikeit65 Posts: 982
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking to buy a pair of shoes and cleats for spinning, the pedals on the bikes are SPD type ones, so i have decided to buy the Shimano RO88 shoes but what cleats do i need will it be the SM-SH 51 or the SM-SH 56?
https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
Planet X RT58
Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011

Comments

• prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    Unless there is something special about spinning machines that I don't know of, they should both work. The difference is 56 cleats let you release your foot by turning your heel in any direction, 51 only let you release by moving your heel outwards.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If the shoes are just for spinning classes then wouldn't MTB shoes be better?

If you are also going to use them on an actual bike then the cleats will come with the pedals.

If you do go down the RO88 route for spinning classes only (or RO88 with SPD cleats full stop) then these may come in handy:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/spd-cleat-stabilising-adapters-ec028585?country=GB&currency=GBP&esvt=1022-GOUKE836058&esvadt=999999-0-33654-1&esvcrea=61231564136&esvd=c&esvo=EV148476-NA-NA&esvaid=50080&gclid=CMPmw_W8r8YCFWrkwgod5D0P9A
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    edited June 2015
    Unless the pedals are on a spin bike that doesn't belong to you I'd seriously consider getting something that will take a bit more oomph than spd's.

I have look pedals on my cycleops spin bike and have never felt uncomfortable sticking ridiculous efforts through them out the saddle, but having pulled my foot out of spd's on several occasions when using my mtb on the road I'd not want that to be happening on a 40kg fixed flywheel stationary bike.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Any SPD cleat works IME - gyms don't like you faffing with their spin bikes, so you'll probably be stuck with the stock pedals. Make sure the shoe fit is neat as movement can result in painful skin rubs.
    Never had a problem using MTB SPD shoes - regularly hit 220rpm+ and have done 160rpm+ for an hour.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    220rpm?

Ahem ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    :lol: 160rpm for an hour?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago