Michelin Pro 4 SC

wotnoshoeseh
wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi folks,

Just been inspecting my Michelin Pro 4's (23 section) with ~1500 miles on them and they are all cracked on the shoulders and have quite a few cuts on them.

Nice riding tyre but the longevity expectations are not good.
What does anyone recommend? I had GP4000S on prior to these in a 25 section which lasted much better than the Michelins. The Michelins, now at ~60+ quid a pair, are starting to look expensive.

Are there any other good options out there, and anything that's on special offer that would be worth a punt?

I'll be going for a 25 section this time around.

Many thanks,
D.

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    Surprised by that as people on here rave about the Pro4 SC, though I think most use the 25mm size. How about: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-one-folding-road-tyre/ also get good reviews.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,437
    if the cuts/cracks are cosmetic - no bulges, no lumps missing in the actual contact area - then the tyres are fine

just ride them until, in order of frugality...
    - the wear indicators (if any) are gone
    - the puncture rate goes up
    - you can see bare carcass

fyi my commute gp4000s have umpteen cuts as do my veloflex tubs, sister's bike with fat knobbly tyres has had sidewall cracks for years, it just doesn't matter - the tyre carcass is responsible for strength, holding the pressure, not the rubber, as long as the carcass and actual road contact rubber are ok the tyres will be fine
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Surprised by that as people on here rave about the Pro4 SC, though I think most use the 25mm size. How about: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-one-folding-road-tyre/ also get good reviews.

I ve found the pr4 in 23mm a fantastic tire, hard wearing and grippy, no issues with cracks either, the 25mm was huge, like 28mm on 13c rims.
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    2 x 700x25 Michelin Pro4 Service Course at Decathlon for £31.99.

Click here for link
  • ptlk66
    ptlk66 Posts: 52
    Cheers for the link to Decathlon, ordered a couple of sets at that price.